Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 70k on my truck. Gotta replace the ball joints. I'm gonna splurge and get the Carlis cause the consensus on here is your wasting your money if you get anything else. Just curious what else I should replace while I have the front end apart. Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
With that low of miles you should be good but I would check your axle u joints and hubs. I just did Carlis, free spin kit, ssbc calipers and rotors, axle u joints and an e locker and I only have 80k on the clock. My u joints and hubs were still in great shape as were my BJs but I've had 38s on my truck for a few years and wanted the peace of mind

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I just did the Carli ball joints on my 08 with 68k miles on it. They went in pretty easy but I wish I would have changed my Axle ujoints, Hubs, Rotors and Pads at the same time.

Literally within 2k of doing the Ball Joints my front axle joints started to clunk. hahaha I would atleast do the Ujoints and maybe the hubs while it's out if I were to do it again.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
All stock at 104k the joint at the steering box is a little loose.
I'd crawl under the truck and have someone rock the wheel back and forth
Engine off key on, and look at every joint.
If you have anything worn you should see it.

·
Vendor
2,548 Posts
If you're over 70K, we always recommend doing ball joints, SKF hubs and Spicer U-Joints. It will save you a headache within the next 10-30K. If you're pretty easy on the truck and want to milk the front end for all it's worth, ensure to clean the hub mating surface and hub-bore in the knuckle and apply a thin layer of anti-seize to facilitate easy disassembly when the time comes to replace the hubs/u-joints.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I recommend using Dynatracs so you never have to use the Carli warranty, which you will.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I read a lot about different ball joints before I bought mine. I found that guys who had others (Dyntrac/Moog/XRF/ETC) had nothing but bad things to say about Carli's.

But then I noticed that a fair amount of guys who had Carli's bought them after wasting $$$ on Dyntracs/Moog/XRF/Etc. hahaha

I've seen first hand some of the abuse that they can take hell if they last twice as long as my stockers did that will last me another 10 years so that's fine with me.

·
Vendor
1,158 Posts
Like others have said, I would recommend the Carli ball joints, SKF hubs, and Spicer U joints. Typically you can get free shipping on the ball joints, the SKF hubs can be had from Rock Auto for a good price, and the U joints can typically be purchased from the ball joint vendor. As for the Carli warranty, we have not had to warranty a set of Carli ball joints, while we have't had issues with Dynatracs either.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Really???? I've never heard that about Carli.

I have personally. Look up the warranty procedure also. you're truck will be sitting for awhile unless you live close to them i guess. I had to eat a set once, so I will never sell them again. I've sold atleast a thousand sets of Dynatracs with NO issues. Some being on lifted welding trucks that live on the back roads of the western slope of Colorado, very rough roads. Why pay the extra price? :confused013: My experience.... Seems like I am the only one willing to speak out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow. I've never heard anything bad said about dynatrac. So I suppose I'll save myself $150 and get them instead. Thanks for the honesty.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
My only experience with Carli is there back country 2.0 suspension system that I helped my buddy install in his 07.5 Cummins. All I can remember was thinking he paid way to much for it after taking a ride in it. Was it better then stock? Yes. But not $2500 better

·
Vendor
2,548 Posts
I have personally. Look up the warranty procedure also. you're truck will be sitting for awhile unless you live close to them i guess. I had to eat a set once, so I will never sell them again. I've sold atleast a thousand sets of Dynatracs with NO issues. Some being on lifted welding trucks that live on the back roads of the western slope of Colorado, very rough roads. Why pay the extra price? :confused013: My experience.... Seems like I am the only one willing to speak out.
Lol, your vendetta against us is now leading you to post incorrect information. All ball-joint warranties are handled via advanced replacement. Perhaps it's time to re-read the warranty page?

Carli Suspension Warranty Terms and Conditions

·
Registered
937 Posts
Lol, your vendetta against us is now leading you to post incorrect information. All ball-joint warranties are handled via advanced replacement. Perhaps it's time to re-read the warranty page?

Carli Suspension Warranty Terms and Conditions
I was speaking from my past, I have no reason to look up the warranty, as I nor my customers, will ever have to use it again. Thanks for laughing, just shows what kind of people you and your company are, cheap and over priced. I left my number in your PM box, you said we needed to talk. Still haven't heard from you and don't expect to....

·
Registered
49 Posts
i am getting close to having to do mine anybody know the part number and cheapest place to get the tool to remove the ball joints also which "sleeve adaptor" i need

·
Vendor
2,548 Posts
I was speaking from my past, I have no reason to look up the warranty, as I nor my customers, will ever have to use it again. Thanks for laughing, just shows what kind of people you and your company are, cheap and over priced. I left my number in your PM box, you said we needed to talk. Still haven't heard from you and don't expect to....
The "lol" was in disbelief of the length you'll go to discredit Carli because of a pre-mature bushing failure (with unknown origin) through the several threads in which you're posting mis-information. Now that i know the crush sleeve and bushing are in the garbage, there's nothing more to discuss. You've made your opinions known and I mine.

The misinformation I'm referencing is this:

"Look up the warranty procedure also. you're truck will be sitting for awhile unless you live close to them i guess."
It is not valid. It may have been your experience and I am sorry that it was. No customer has had this issue since I came on board and you're the first I've heard of even prior to my tenure.

I will cease the derail of this thread so OP can continue with the thread.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Well op, atleast I told you to look up the warranty so you will know how to use it if you decide to purchase Carli product. I will also encourage you to go to the Carli threads on here and read up so you can understand how Dan is trying to make me look stupid by twisting my words around and reposting half of what is said. And mind you, I was a customer of theirs once, so don't expect them to treat you any different. Also, if you read what was just said about the warranty, means you will be using it. Dynatrac told me years ago,"If you ever have a set fail, let us know and we will send you a new set as we want the failed set back for inspection." I have NEVER had to take them up on that offer and was pleased to hear that they would want them back for inspection, instead of "It's your fault, buy more product."

Reactions: 0967cummins

·
Vendor
2,548 Posts
i am getting close to having to do mine anybody know the part number and cheapest place to get the tool to remove the ball joints also which "sleeve adaptor" i need
These are the presses/receiver kits we use:

Miller C4212F, Receiver Kit 8975
Or:
OTC: 8031

I wouldn't get a cheap or small one, trust me, they WILL deform. The above will last you a long time. Be sure to put antiseize on the threads before cranking.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts