Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was reading on the issue of gutting the AIT. I would like to try the tube without the main baffle in the mid part of the intake but I am unsure of the baffles in the elbow. From what I can see it acts like a vortex breaker or straitening veins. Will this compromise the airflow into the turbo? Unrestricted flow is usually better but maybe they have had issues in the past with a vortex in the elbow so they (being Dodge) decided to correct it. Another thing I did notice is that the baffles gave the elbow more strength, once removed the elbow seemed very flimsy. Any chance that the elbow could collapse from the suction (negative pressures) caused by the turbo? If this is the case the elbow ID will be smaller and more restrictive than with the baffles in... Sorry for the over thinking on my part but I do like to fully resurch and understand any mod that I make to my 40K truck.:$: for the most part every one on this site has educated me on a motor that I have little knowledge about .. And for that I would like to thank you all very much:thumbsup. I had these questions burning in my mind and I figured you all would be a great resource for the answers.... Thanks again!

PS
has any one found a plastic piece or something that will fit in place of the middle baffle? Some in other threads said they used steel or aluminium pipe but found the pipe resonated during WOT. Any Ideas ??

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
you are correct the baffles are straightening vanes , we spent a month testing stuff on the intake side of the turbo , we learned two things one is how to make the test equipment and two do not try to improve stock , the removal of the straightening veins will not cause collapse of elbow , the afe stage ii lost mileage due to the hotter air entering the turbo , once you break the baffles out of the elbow and see the cost from dodge to replace it made us try the tag to see if we could get back what we lost we ind ed up with psm , cool hose, and tag that worked best about 3% above stock and even at $4 a gallon it will take several hundred thousand miles to recoup cost . in issue 59 of tdr magazine and issue 56 they tested more stuff than we did it would have helped if 59 had came out before we wasted our time and money. as far as a replacement for the middle baffle we got ours from airaid

·
Banned
393 Posts
My AFE gave me 2 MPG over stock.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what you are saying is leave the elbow alone! but replacing the middlel baffle is ok? Is it worth replacing or like you said is stock better.

·
Banned
393 Posts
thats what im trying to figure out...i thought they said that AFE wa worse than stock? I dont really follow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looks like the baffles in the elbow can be re-installed. There is rubber tabs holding the baffles in place. I think if you pushed it back past the tabs it would resume its stock condition.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i just bought my 04 cummins last week. I pulled out the baffles in the torque tube. I had no vanes in the elbow that attaches to the turbo so I saw no need to have the baffles in the tube itself. wether or not someone prior to me removes the elbow vanes or not I could not say. does someone have a pic of the animal in question? and do ALL cummins have the vanes in the 90?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think 04.5 and up have the straitening viens in questoin.. I may be wrong ... but that is my understanding. I will try to find a link on the site, as others have posted tpictures of this.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think 04.5 and up have the straitening viens in questoin.. I may be wrong ... but that is my understanding. I will try to find a link on the site, as others have posted tpictures of this.
If that is the case I am going to stand by my baffle removal being the way to go. If MY truck has no vanes in the 90 to straighten the air right before it enters the turbo then having the vanes in the torque tube makes no sense. As soon as it hit the 90 it would be back to "dirty" air again. in effect the baffle would be just a choke to reduce air flow. so without the benefit of "straight air" feeding my turbo I would have to make up for it in positive pressure to force feed it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See that is what started my whole questioning.. Why did they add the vanes? was their issues OR did they need to spend some engineering grants on something stupid. Did they find that calming the air before the turbo made it more effecent? I would also like to know CARL48 if the testing on the elbow was done under WOT. Just want to be sure this thing isn't going to collapse. That would suck!! no pun intended !

·
Registered
99 Posts
See that is what started my whole questioning.. Why did they add the vanes? was their issues OR did they need to spend some engineering grants on something stupid. Did they find that calming the air before the turbo made it more effecent? I would also like to know CARL48 if the testing on the elbow was done under WOT. Just want to be sure this thing isn't going to collapse. That would suck!! no pun intended !

I went and saw the pics of what you have. If i had that set up I would leave it in personally. looks like it would straighten the air right before the turbo. My baffles did not extend into the 90 and bend to direct the air. they just stopped in the tube itself.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what about the ones in the torque tube? worth taking out? I was wondering if you can find a piece of pvc that would work in it's place?

·
All around nice guy
52 Posts
When you gut the torque tube, you get a nice hollow tube. Why replace it? Why pay for aftermarket? It's a VERY simple mod. The worst part is waiting for the epoxy to dry on the joint where you split the tube...

I also don't think you guys are thinking of this correctly. The main purpose of the vane/baffle in the tube is sound nullification, not flow direction. If they were concerned about smooth flow, they wouldn't have put the ribs around the outside of the inner tube section.

As for the vane assembly in the elbow, I believe it's there for some flow direction, and some tube strength (anti-collapse), but don't quote me on that one. In theory, the flow direction shouldn't be much of an issue, since it's drawing air in (which is more likely to give a smooth flow versus pushing it out).

That being said, I removed my tube innards, but left the elbow as-is. I didn't really see much of a difference, mileage- or power-wise.

Quake- I see in your sig that you're looking for mileage mods- my best so far was the Quadzilla DXZT2. Picked up about 2 mpg- now I'm over 20 mpg back and forth to work (mix of backroads, highway, and stop-and-go).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see your point.. I only wanted to replace it incase I need to re-install it, as I still have warrenty. That is why I thought I would get a piece of pvc or something to go in it's place. As for the elbow vanes. It sounds to me like I should leave those in !!

·
All around nice guy
52 Posts
Yeah, that's why I bought a spare tube and airbox on this forum, so that I could do that stuff and still keep my stock stuff just in case.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How Much Was The Tube ??

·
Registered
90 Posts
the turbo is so much louder with the tube gutted i also gutted the elbow no poblems so far?
ps i permesealed the torque tube instead of epoxy i thought it would be more flexible with the vibration?
scott

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I've had my veins out for 2k. No problems, just more whistle. I think that you guys are giving to much credit to dodge. As far as I can tell, it's just a noise reducer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
has anybody seen any gains from gutting the tube? or is it just strictly noise your after?

·
All around nice guy
52 Posts
The tube, upper elbow, and airbox was $60 shipped.

I'm using the spare airbox to make a better, but still cold-air, intake setup...

I was after mileage, but just got a little extra noise. I might've picked up 2-3 10ths of a mpg. I also did a K&N BIG filter at the same time, and got maybe .4 mpg total gain.

Not much, but every little bit helps.

BTW- just gutting the tube and leaving in the elbow vanes and the silencer ring gave me a little more noise, but not unbearable, even going up hills with a 28 foot enclosed car trailer at about 8k lbs...

It's all but free, so I'd do it even if there's very little gain. I only bought the extra pieces for my own piece of mind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts