Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well First off the truck is back up and running after a Computer opps when installing the PMT. I have to say that Buddy at Bully Dog is top notch. I should have contacted him first when this happen last week. It would have not dragged on for 8 days if i would have talked to him first. If any of yall have a problem with Bully Dog Contact Buddy. Hes all about us.

I have Badp Beta Code Free Kit. During the Week Travis updated the software on the kit on my truck. On the ride home from Sealy tonight i did not get any codes. about 50 miles. I checked when i got home and i had no pending codes either. Before he updated the software i was getting 2080 and 2084 within 20 miles. no big deal but it was not code free(no over head message yet either). but keep your figures crossed as it looks good on my end so far. But i need more miles.

The Stack with the PMT and MP8. Well with every thing turned up. Not a good idea. easy 1700 degrees, probably more but i had to back off. The Smoke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holey Hell. It was by far more then my old 04.5 with smarty on level 9. The power was great. i could roast my tires down at a very impressive rate but i had to back off for the EGT's where getting so high. Its just so damn scary how hot it gets with both stacked. Also its not a good idea to get on it while in stop in go traffic or from light to light. Bad idea. That fuel shim from the MP8 keeps too much fuel in after you let off and the truck wants to keep going. Scary if a car wants to stop when they are in front of you.

One thing i notice. I dont know if the truck is learning or i was not getting on it so much when i got home but it may be possible the truck is learning the new program and has some how backed off on the smoke on its own. But i will verify that tomorrow again. i need to set up the camera again under the truck so i can show off a bit.

So i hope some of yall have found this useful. So that has been my day today.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing more on the new kit.
Cheers,

Yukon Chris

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,126 Posts
You will have alot cooler egts with the egr delete, alot.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will have alot cooler egts with the egr delete, alot.
how much are we talking Jon. Because the heat i saw scared the crap out of me but the power was great. If i hit that much with the EGR on, what do you reckon it would be with out the EGR on

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hows the timing rattle compared to the pup, Same? Im not even running my pup right now and am really enjoying the engine not sounded like crap! I forgot how bad it was till i put it back to stock!

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Matt,

I don't have everything stacked as you dude, but since I got the AX flash and I can run without my EGR and clear all codes with the Juice at start up; dude I have been able to tow my route with the Juice on #6-Hot as of Friday LOL!!! Now sure if I wade into mine with the trailer on and loaded the EGT's will go on up to, as much as you don't won't I guess LOL... I backed off:)

But normally I had seen 1100-1300 EGT's on a days run without the sprints up the on ramps and such, I didn't dare run the Juice on #6 either not to mention the fact I don't have the fuel lifted to the CP3 well enough to support anything over #4 with my foot in it...

Now since the EGR delete the EGT's stay around 700-1000 for the most part, cruise used and set on 74mph all day and have the early morning hours... Funny thing now is since the EGR delete and the AX flash, it doesn't matter what setting I have the juice on either EGT's seem to hang there and the intake temps are 80 degree's cooler as well. I ran over a 1000 miles again yesterday on the route and a special hotshot run of taking a new boat off down the country.

I ran in #6 on the juice and set the low-end response on the lowest setting, let the cruise do all the throttle for the most part, we had terrible bad winds and blowing sand here also, but I managed to get 11.5 while towing either the GN trailer or the big a$$ boat and I got 16.5 on the way back home while not towing!!! The 16.5 mpg was the best yet since the AX flash also...

Which brings me to what I want to ask you to watch and feel for dude, the lack of fuel to the CP3... I keep asking myself with all the weird ways my 6.7 just continues to burn fuel at a surprizing rate despite all the stuff I have done to her and known things that should have helped the mileage... I just wonder if the lack of fuel support is causing this much bad fuel mileage???

I also know that the AX flash has cost me at least 1.5 mpg and when running nothing in tow its been more then that till I ran the truck in #6 all day yesterday LOL... I would do the AX flash all over again though, since now I can get the EGR off this 6.7...

I am going to take two more of the big a$$ boats down this week-end and I plan to tow in #5 today and pull the low-end response way down to the lowest setting. I got all pissed Thursday with this whole dang truck in how it gets the same bad fuel mileage day after day and I can't make it get any better. Thats why I said to myself; screw-it and ran the ol'e girl now(110K on the clock) in #6 all day Friday LOL...

Thursday I ran her with some CRC- Diesel Fuel Therapy, rich in the fuel and I hung her out at WFO at one point for over 40 miles, while in tow pouncing on the limiter the whole way... She still got 10.8 mpg like that, just unfreakin' real... I expected to see in the single digits with how hard I ran the truck, to help clean the injectors all up LOL
Will say now I have over 3500 miles on the last oil change and since the EGR delete, and I can still see through the oil to the white dip-stick tip marker... That is pretty cool, damn shame I had to run her as long as I did before I could get the EGR off... To think Dodge is marketing limited life time warranty's now too LOL... They can roll that up and smoke it for as I am concerned LOL... I had a brandy new 08 6.7 right now, I know exactly what I would do with her soon as I got her home:)

I look forward to read what all you find and do with this new no code goodies dude... I would sure expect the no code to be somewhat better for us on these 6.7's

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can have the PMT Defuel at a desired temp setting
Yes you are correct. Right now you can not use the Pyro the PMT comes with. You have to get some kind of Software from Bully Dog to do so, 6.7 only. We do have the factory Pyro BUT, BADP uses that by adding a t-splice in it. So when reading that pyro with BADP code free you will see 1100 to 1250 all the time. So at the moment, setting my truck to defuel at 1550 will do nothing on my truck. I do have my truck to defuel when the coolant hits 210, and it will when playing with that power.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
I was not aware of the BADP setup and that it does that I do not have a DPF delete I set mine to defuel at 1250. I have seen it work when it goes into Regen and the message came on the screen that it defuels. That software should be available soon
I am waiting on mine to be sent to me any day now.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Yes you are correct. Right now you can not use the Pyro the PMT comes with. You have to get some kind of Software from Bully Dog to do so, 6.7 only. We do have the I factory Pyro BUT, BADP uses that by adding a t-splice in it. So when reading that pyro with BADP code free you will see 1100 to 1250 all the time. So at the moment, setting my truck to defuel at 1550 will do nothing on my truck. I do have my truck to defuel when the coolant hits 210, and it will when playing with that power.
Question:

Matt when you say, "You have to get some kind of Software from Bully Dog to do so, 6.7 only." I take that to mean that the PMT for 6.7 will use an additional user tapped pre or post turbo pyro with a future software release as opposed to using the ones the ECM reads now.

If so, then the EGT monitor of the PMT would be independent of whatever BADP is doing with OEM EGT sensors correct?

Thank you for posting.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Matt,

Now here you go again with something else of interest on all this with where you set you max engine coolant temp of 210... One of the very reasons I wanted to stick a 180 stat in my truck quite sometime ago, which since have seen with the AX flash I need the extra heat to keep the fuel knock out with my EGR deleted:(

Heck dude I see 215-216 on good hot days while towing and the 6.7 just loves it there for as its performance, not to mention since the EGR delete I don't have the 180 degree intake air temps, so I just keep on till I can get something to help with all these codes my Juice has to clear at start up... Anyway, I don't understand how you can tow your big trailer dude and keep her from defueling all the time LOL, whats up with all these secrets you guys are using here??? Come on now don't be holding out on us, ya' Dawggg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Matt,

Now here you go again with something else of interest on all this with where you set you max engine coolant temp of 210... One of the very reasons I wanted to stick a 180 stat in my truck quite sometime ago, which since have seen with the AX flash I need the extra heat to keep the fuel knock out with my EGR deleted:(

Heck dude I see 215-216 on good hot days while towing and the 6.7 just loves it there for as its performance, not to mention since the EGR delete I don't have the 180 degree intake air temps, so I just keep on till I can get something to help with all these codes my Juice has to clear at start up... Anyway, I don't understand how you can tow your big trailer dude and keep her from defueling all the time LOL, whats up with all these secrets you guys are using here??? Come on now don't be holding out on us, ya' Dawggg
Jeb... Be careful about going too cool on the thermostats.... It can actually cause your tuck to over heat... They will stay open and not keep the water in the radiator long enough to cool it down before it goes right back into the engine to absorb more heat... I had that happen to my jeep and learned about thermostats the $hard$ way.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
OILY,

I do understand about all that dude, don't worry LOL. But I do thank you for the comment just the same. You never know what stupid thing I may try next LOL...

There is not much I won't do or have not already done and may even have the T-shirt, cap and/or scars to prove it too... The oilfield as you probably know from your screen name is the mother to all of us inventors. Heck dude, just noticed while looking to see what part of the world you might be in, you had the Centrematic wheel balancers, how are these expensive suckers anyway???

I have been trolling around these for years wanting to try them on the small tires like these 17" ers we have on these little duallys, wanting to see if they might help enough on the mileage on tire wear and tear... I know them to be a great product on the OTR trucks and the size of tires they use, just not sure how well they would be on these smaller tires and how much easier it is to get and keep these better balanced... Anything you can share on these???

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question:

Matt when you say, "You have to get some kind of Software from Bully Dog to do so, 6.7 only." I take that to mean that the PMT for 6.7 will use an additional user tapped pre or post turbo pyro with a future software release as opposed to using the ones the ECM reads now.

If so, then the EGT monitor of the PMT would be independent of whatever BADP is doing with OEM EGT sensors correct?

Thank you for posting.
I think I understand what you are saying but i will just recap on that. Since BADP Code Free kit T-Splices in between the Dodge EGT sensor, It is no good to us when using it as the Selected source for the PMT Pyro. BADP Code free kit needs it to stay between 1100 to 1250 all the time. It never leaves that range.

Even though the PMT comes with a pyro to add to the Manifold (pre or post turbo) it does not have the software in the PMT to read that pyro if you choice to use it. Buddy at BD is going to send it to me so i can use it.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was not aware of the BADP setup and that it does that I do not have a DPF delete I set mine to defuel at 1250. I have seen it work when it goes into Regen and the message came on the screen that it defuels. That software should be available soon
I am waiting on mine to be sent to me any day now.
Let me see if i got you right. You are running the PMT. Its using the Dodge Pyro for its source. You want the software to come out so you can drill/tap the manifold for the BD pyro.

Dude, dont run your truck on extreme if you have that DPF on there. That thing makes a ton of smoke. I would think you would be in regen all of the time

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Mattpopp

I plan to keep using the sensors it is using now
I have never had any issues with the truck and it has been over a year now
actually the main problem I have is finding ULSD in my area.
only a handful of stations seem to sell it.
I am one of the official PMT Beta Testers. I still have my DPF system
I only use stock and tow modes at this time. I tested the other modes just for a minute or so but until someone comes out with a true code free dpf delete system and it has been tested for several months on more than just a few beta testers vehicles I am holding out. I own my own business where we mostly install aftermarket parts or make the parts
for customers and we have found that most of the time when they list them as bolt on or trouble free they do not seem to work that way in real world situations. My truck running in stock mode most of the time seems to go in regen often as it is. I would love to get better mpg but if reliability is compromised than it is not worth it to me. Like any new product it takes time to develop and get it right and I do not mind waiting.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like any new product it takes time to develop and get it right and I do not mind waiting.
Good deal, You are one of the few that understand that anything coming out for a 6.7 is new and will need time to work everything out. I think the DPF Delete is going to be the toughest challenge to over come.

·
Registered
179 Posts
hey mattpopp have you seen a difference in mileage from the gen 1 box from this box. I think I read a thread of shane saying they were seeing 20's on there test truck just wondering if this correct.

Thanks for being a lab rat and keep up the good work!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts