Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the consensus on wheel bearings? Any recommended brands? Should I replace both if only one is bad?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Personally i just replace the bad one. I did one on my wifes 2wd 1500 a few years back and the other side is still hanging fine. I did only one on my 12' last month also. The other side was fine so i wasn't spending the money. I went with MOOG. No real answer on longevity for the MOOG yet though.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
When I replaced one on my truck I went with SKF from RockAuto. I only replaced the bad one. That was 50K miles ago.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I went with skf. OE quality. Plenty of cheap ones out there, JMO.
Regarding doing both? How many miles? If close to expected life-cycle of 150-200k miles then I'd do both. If a random lower mile failure, I'd just fix the bad one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 57,000 miles

·
On call 24/7
12,377 Posts
Ive also had good luck with moog. I put on two timkens and both were loose out of the box but the moogs have all been tight.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have 57,000 miles
And this is why when i hear oem quality i just got to wonder. Its all too common to hear of premature failures of the OEM bearings. There are so many factors that can contribute though. My bearing that i recently had to change had 77k miles, 72k of that on 37" tires. It was not horribly loose but it was loose enough it warranted a change. The other side is tight as can be and still holding strong to that 37" tire. I think any quality (term used loosely) bearing be it, OEM, Timken, SKF, or Moog should offer many miles of good service.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My driver's side went at about 58k miles. OEM parts were 2 weeks away so I used Napa parts. The passenger side was still silent but had a bit more movement than I like so I did them both.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Make sure you use a good marine grease between the bearing and the axle before you bolt the new one on. Will help you later to disassemble it down the road. Don't use anti-sieze.
Why not antiseize? Think it will wash out or corrode up quicker? Serious question, because I use anti seize like butter on biscuits on everything I don't want to rust up. Including this application^ My originals didn't come off too hard at 10 years old (but I have a puller we fabbed for removing unit bearings) but they should slide off like sht thru a goose for the next person!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts