Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Suffers from Black Lung
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck as started to shake at 60mph and gets worst as speed inceases. as soon as I let off the throttle the vibrations are cut by 80% and as soon as I touch the throttle again the shakes the truck again. I am wondering if its my trans cause I go the truck up to 60 and took it out of OD and it seemed to lighten up too. I also been wondering about my crank or if the engine is about to crap out. the engine is around 280K miles.

Any help please

Chris

·
Registered
253 Posts
highly doubt its the engine, they usually make some noise when in trouble. Transmissions usually slip, not vibrate. U-Joints however can vibrate like crazy. Also drive shafts can cause trouble. Tires can also. I'd check the drive train after the tranny, and also check tires for bulges.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its a u-joint. The dead giveaway is that when you left off the gas, it goes away. Check your u-joints super well. Look for signs of "rust dust" right around the rim of the u-joint caps. Also grab the driveshaft and wiggle it back and forth and look for ANY play within the u-joints. It doesn't take much. Most of the time you will also hear an audible squeak-squeak at low speeds.

·
Suffers from Black Lung
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info I am gonna check it tonight when I get home. It started at 75 and has made its way to 55-60 mph so its getting worst. Looks like I have me new sunday project.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had the same vib and it ended up being the carrier bearing. The rubber was dry roted and split open around it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts