Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have often heard its not good to start a diesel often. I was just curious what everybody has to say about this. i usually shut my truck off if i will be somewhere 30 min or more but with diesel on the rise i have been kinda shorting it up shutting it off if i get out for more than 10min or 15min. i want the best for my truck, i dont wanna be doing repairs that could have been prevented over a few gallons of diesel.
how do you guys do with your truck?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i've got the same question, i leave it runnen right now, but with diesel and moven to an island in AK that has 30 miles of road, i think i'll be shuten it down more often.

bowz

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It's the cold start/cold shutdown that is tough on turbochargers. It takes a few seconds to get oil to the turbo, and some time for the turbo temp to stabilize. If you start it, keep it running until the engine gets to full operating temp. Once it's warm, you can shut down and restart with little chance of creating a problem.

Ops

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Those cold starts are hard on starters too! It takes alot of juice to spin over one of these clunkers when they are cold

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
If I'm not rolling, most likely the truck is not running.

My truck is always on/off. Turns off for any small reason.

Merrick

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
when im out and about..if its around 170..im on/off without any worries..when im movin it in the driveway to detail or work on i let it, i let it idle for 20 second..rev it to 1000 rpms..move it where it needs to be and let it idle for about a minute....then off

1 - 6 of 6 Posts