Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently had the front end on my truck redone. New tie rod ends, new u joints, new ball joints, new steering stabilizer, alignment, and everything else checked out. The shop was trying to balance the tires (its a dually) and no luck. 2 shops have tried, no luck. They say the fronts are good, but the rears almost shake the truck off the jack stands. The last shop tried balancing with the wheels on the truck, and even shaved the tires to even them out. Still a real bad shake at 65mph. It vibrates the passenger seat and steering wheel something fierce. Problem is, it happens 1/2 the time. The other half of the time its smooth as can be. By that I mean I can go out in the morning one day, and no vibration, that afternoon, its there again. Vise versa the next day. Its driving me nuts, and getting expensive. Any ideas?

·
HI
3,440 Posts
could it be a bent rim? i have never heard of a tire shop not being able to balance the tire. if the rim has a slight bent in it it could cause you to have a vibration at certin speeds.

just an idea to look at.

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
Does your truck have the 2 piece drive shaft? Carrier bearing is what I'm thinking. It may be bad, or need shimmed to adjust the angle a little.
There may be a TSB addressing it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that reply, but we are able to individually balance the tires off the truck, but because of the spacers on the rear tires, they still werent balanced, so I was told that they had to be balanced on the truck, and that still didnt work.

·
Registered
684 Posts
jsut a thought, is someone messing with you?

I once worked in a shop and we were known to pull a prank or two, nothing dangerous. Wheel weights, dimes in the chevy steering column, left turn signal grounded through the horn, nut looped with electrical wire on a drive shaft, grease under the door handles, taking a gallon a day out of the tank or vice versa.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont know the people in this shop, they were refered, im new to Ft. Benning. At the price I paid for the work they did, they better not be messing with me. Thats a funny thought to hear about someone else though!!!
Oh, and the other shop was in Mississippi on my way here. I couldnt stand the shake anymore, but ended up having to deal with it anyhow. My trip was from Vegas to Georgia, and half of the trip was smooth as could be, but the vibration all started about half way through.

·
HI
3,440 Posts
could the new u-joints be bad? i have heard of that happening too.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wouldnt they have checked for play after the install and they noticed vibration still in the wheel?

·
HI
3,440 Posts
Wouldnt they have checked for play after the install and they noticed vibration still in the wheel?
you think they would but you never know. they might have installed them thinking they were new and there couldnt be anything wrong with them. ive had something like that happen to me.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I dont know the people in this shop, they were refered, im new to Ft. Benning. At the price I paid for the work they did, they better not be messing with me. Thats a funny thought to hear about someone else though!!!
We never did that stuff to rigs we worked, on just each others personal rigs... One day the area shop supervisor came by and parked his truck by the tire bay door. He made it hard to work so instead of using the cage for the split rim when I was filling it I slid it under his GMC.

sounds like you got something else going on for it to have cropped up half way on your trip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts