Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thud: so i have a 91 dodge W250 with a 12v. i had a problem 3 months ago with water in my fuel i got it cleaned out at a shop. i got the truck back and the "water in fuel" light kept lighting up. so i took it to the dealership and they made the light go away, but ever since then the engine would once in a while crank really slow. kinda like the starter didnt have enough power to turn the engine over. it runs great once it is started. does anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong. i thought it might be the starter going out or the starter solenoid going out. the battery is new and the alternator is some-what new.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
It could be a bad connection. Check both ends of both battery cables. Try turning the dome light on and watching it when you crank the truck. Since this is only an occasional problem you should get an idea of how much it dims when the truck cranks normally. If it dims more when the truck cranks slowly then it is likely you have a bad connection in one of the following places: Internal connector in your new battery, battery terminal, battery cable at the solenoid, connector between the solenoid and the starter. If the dome light dims less it could be the contactor in the solenoid or worn out brushes in the starter. I have not worked on a first gen Ram. On my second gen trucks the fuel filter and heater are above the starter. I wonder if spilling fuel on the starter and solenoid could have washed grease or oil onto the starter brushes or the solenoid contacts. Most starters have four brushes (two connected to the solenoid contactor and two to ground). If one brush is worn short the starter will only have half its normal power. It will run slow and draw less current (the dome light will dim less). If the dome light is brighter with the truck running than with it not running then your alternator is charging the battery.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey EN3,

Since it's occasional I would check to see if the brushes on the starter are stuck as well as everything that clc said to check. When it' cranking slow, before it starts, jump out and wack the starter with a rubber mallet (or boot, pet, lawn mower). I have seen brushes stick due to something other than water getting on the starter.

If that's it then it's an easy fix with a quick rebuild and clean with electronics cleaner (don't tell any one but I use starting fluid). Shouldn't cost much.

Hope it helps,
HTCS

·
Registered
159 Posts
What CLC said. If it started all of a sudden and could be related to when it was at the dealership, they may have taken the starter off for better access from underneath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts