Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my stock '14 in to the dealer recently to do a rear main seal at 26k miles. My truck is out of warranty. I picked it up, left the dealer and got about 2 miles down the road and the check engine
light came on. I took it back the dealer and told them I didn't see how this could be a coincidence.
They scanned the truck and came back with an upper NOX sensor code. Long story short, the mechanic said they would flash the computer, but if the code came back they would have to replace the sensor. Of course the code came back. The dealer is wanting $2100 to replace the sensor. That's crazy, and no way I'm paying it. Has anyone heard of one going out at such low mileage. Do you think the fact I don't drive it much is a contributing factor? I think it's odd that the problem occurred right after I left the dealer, but I don't think there's much I can do about that. I did look around and couldn't find any damage near the sensor. Thx

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
sensor is about 100 bucks IIRC. On mine I removed the sensor, need a special socket to go around the wire, and there was carbon build up on it.
I cleaned it and put it back in and it worked fine. You might get it out with out the socket but they are tight in there, be careful not to round it off.
Socket was cheap enough but it still wanted to slip.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sensor is about 100 bucks IIRC. On mine I removed the sensor, need a special socket to go around the wire, and there was carbon build up on it.
I cleaned it and put it back in and it worked fine. You might get it out with out the socket but they are tight in there, be careful not to round it off.
Socket was cheap enough but it still wanted to slip.
Must be a different sensor. The cost at the dealer on the one I need is $1320. I’ve found them on eBay for around $450.
It’s the one right behind the turbo. It’s behind the shield in the attached picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure your out of warranty? Emissions stuff is covered longer, may want to check into that.
AFAIK, most of the emissions runs out at 5 years. I’m at 5 years 8 months. I think I read some ran for 8, but not this part. I may check just to make sure. Thanks

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
I had my stock '14 in to the dealer recently to do a rear main seal at 26k miles. My truck is out of warranty. I picked it up, left the dealer and got about 2 miles down the road and the check engine
light came on. I took it back the dealer and told them I didn't see how this could be a coincidence.
They scanned the truck and came back with an upper NOX sensor code. Long story short, the mechanic said they would flash the computer, but if the code came back they would have to replace the sensor. Of course the code came back. The dealer is wanting $2100 to replace the sensor. That's crazy, and no way I'm paying it. Has anyone heard of one going out at such low mileage. Do you think the fact I don't drive it much is a contributing factor? I think it's odd that the problem occurred right after I left the dealer, but I don't think there's much I can do about that. I did look around and couldn't find any damage near the sensor. Thx
Never, never use the dealer for any mechanical work outside of warranty.

Guarantee you could have gotten the rear main seal fixed way cheaper, and the NOx sensor as well.

A new NOx sensor will run you anywhere from $269 to $450 depending on which one you need and whether you get oem or aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
as others have said, check your emissions warranty. i think it is 5yr/60000.

IMO, with all this EPA mandated emissions sh.t, it should all be covered for the life of the vehicle

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never, never use the dealer for any mechanical work outside of warranty.

Guarantee you could have gotten the rear main seal fixed way cheaper, and the NOx sensor as well.

A new NOx sensor will run you anywhere from $269 to $450 depending on which one you need and whether you get oem or aftermarket.
Actually they did the seal as a goodwill warranty, but charged me a $500 deductible. Any more than that, and I would have taken it to an independent. Original quote was $2700!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also a stock 14. My sensor went out this spring. Just got it in under warranty by a couple of months and at 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
13,737 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This confuses me. AFAIK, that is a different sensor. I've watched that video, and he states the truck is a '14, but everything I've read states the upper nox sensor is behind the turbo like the picture I posted above. I would sure hate to change out the wrong sensor, given the cost of the thing.

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
This confuses me. AFAIK, that is a different sensor. I've watched that video, and he states the truck is a '14, but everything I've read states the upper nox sensor is behind the turbo like the picture I posted above. I would sure hate to change out the wrong sensor, given the cost of the thing.
Well, I don't know what to tell you. That guy on that video is a trained, certified RAM Cummins technician and a very good diagnostician.

You can make a comment on the video and ask him a question and he will answer you back, although it may take some time. He has answered my comments back in the past.

As far as I know, the NOx sensors are before and after the SCR cat, as they are there to measure its effectiveness.

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
There is also a RAM service bulletin for the P2201 that may apply to your truck, if it hasn't already been done, it is a pcm update that may cure the issue.

I believe the dealer will do the update for free.

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/ram-service-bulletin-18-018-13-rev-d/

And, has your truck had the SCR catalyst recall replacement done?

This may also be a part of the problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is also a RAM service bulletin for the P2201 that may apply to your truck, if it hasn't already been done, it is a pcm update that may cure the issue.

I believe the dealer will do the update for free.

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/ram-service-bulletin-18-018-13-rev-d/

And, has your truck had the SCR catalyst recall replacement done?

This may also be a part of the problem.
I should be up to date on the recalls and pcm flashes since I just had it in to the dealer and they did a flash, but thanks for mentioning it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The sensor by the turbo is the correct one. I replaced mine about a year ago at 80000 miles. Bought it from Rock Auto, which was he cheapest I could find at the time ($359 I think). Did it myself, took a couple hours. The other end is behind the oil filter, and I found it was easiest to remove the oil filter.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The sensor by the turbo is the correct one. I replaced mine about a year ago at 80000 miles. Bought it from Rock Auto, which was he cheapest I could find at the time ($359 I think). Did it myself, took a couple hours. The other end is behind the oil filter, and I found it was easiest to remove the oil filter.
Thanks for the reply. Do you remember what tool you used to remove the sensor? Just an open end wrench? Also, what brand sensor did you get? I'm assuming it wasn't oem for that price?
Thx

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
I should be up to date on the recalls and pcm flashes since I just had it in to the dealer and they did a flash, but thanks for mentioning it.
Well, they don't do that particular pcm update unless you have the issue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts