Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been having fuel issues mine is a 91.5 stock everything.
I went to start my truck and go to work and it was missing, so I started checking the injectors and I was getting air in just the #2 tightened it back up and let it set there and idle a minute and it steadily got worse.
Took it to my shop and started checking alittle deeper I cracked each injector one at a time and bleed all the air out except the #2 still getting air so I tightened it back up Let it sit there and idle and it started getting worse
Crack #5... getting air crack #2 #5 clears up tighten both down same thing happens again
What I want to know is is it an injector or something else, has anyone else ever had this happen??

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
If they are not popped to spec then they can blow engine compression back through the injector.

How did it start when you first started it, on the first crank?

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
What's about average on it starting, it should start on the first revolution if not then you have a problem somewhere.

A low idle could be a plugged filter, low fuel pressure or it just needs turned up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 to 2 revs and it was time for a filter, but i changed this morning because I had been having a fuel leak from the water separator thinking it might be the problem, but I eliminated that with a different fuel filter with the drain made into the filter and as for the fuel pressure it should be good because it has a new lift pump (less than 6 months old), my sending unit in the tank had came apart and I thought it was the lift pump

Yes it has been a rough year for the truck lol

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
Have you checked to see if your sucking air into the fuel system, that can cause hard starts and air at the injectors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, but what gets me is that it's just the #2 that has air as long as I leave it cracked it runs fine (minus it missing) but once I tighten it down it starts missing worse and then when I crack the other injectors the #5 and #2 has bubbles, I can crack the #2 with #5 cracked and the #5 clears up that's why I thought it might be the #2 injector, I'm going to get one tomorrow and see if it clears it up, other than that I have no clue what or where it could be

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
How many miles on the injectors? They don't last forever, about 200,000 miles and they should be rebuilt or replaced.

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
Any updates on this?

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
Yes sorry, it was the #2 injector, the guy at my diesel shop said a bad tip would cause air to be pushed back into the system
How about that I was right.

Did have all of them checked, if one was that way the others aren't far behind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.