Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
swapped injectors over the weekend and just realized diesel is dripping down above the starter (drivers side of engine). tightened up all the injector lines and still leaking pretty good. no leak from the FASS fuel line or from the injection pump. any ideas where the diesel is leaking from??

·
Registered
435 Posts
Did you put new O rings and copper washers on the injectors? Are the connector tubes leaking? Any fuel in the oil? Return line from VP44 and rear of head leaking or damaged?

·
Go for Broke
6,699 Posts
maybe one of the connector tubes didn't seat right?

maybe one of the lines is leaking....i had that problem two years ago....line had a pin hole in it

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i found out that it was leaking out of #2...i took the injector and tube out to inspect for any kind of damage. everything looked good, however the tube was covered with fuel which makes me think the line wasnt seated properly in the tube. one thing i noticed, when i was taking the threaded part out of the head, it was difficult to remove. however, when i put everything back together it threaded almost all the way with my fingers, then a couple turns of the wrench tightened it up real well. so i dont think the threads are damaged.

i was talking with a friend who had this problem when he installed SS injector lines. he clamped the lines down before threading them into the head, and that put pressure on the seat (end) of the injector line causing it to elongate. therefore, the line wouldnt seat properly in the tube. if that is the case, #2 line from cummins is $80.

i also checked the oring on the tube and it SEEMED okay, but i am going to replace that first incase that oring is actually damaged.

let me hear your thoughts...sorry for the long post

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you put new O rings and copper washers on the injectors? Are the connector tubes leaking? Any fuel in the oil? Return line from VP44 and rear of head leaking or damaged?
injectors came with new orings/copper washers...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i replaced the oring on the #2 tube today and SO FAR so good. i drove around for about 10 minutes without any leak. if everything checks out good tomorrow, ill be taking the $80 injector line back to cummins.

·
Go for Broke
6,699 Posts
glad to hear you found it :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks graphic man

i think i can say the leak officially stopped...now i gotta make a trip back to cummins with the line and get some money back!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I wish I could fine my fuel leak. Ive been hunting it down for about 4 weeks and have put new clamps and replaced hoses and still have cant fine it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish I could fine my fuel leak. Ive been hunting it down for about 4 weeks and have put new clamps and replaced hoses and still have cant fine it.
where abouts is it leaking from underneath the truck? notice any wetness under the hood?

·
Registered
675 Posts
The whole bottom of the engine is wet. It only does it after i drive to truck not sitting there idling or revving. The harder i push the motor the more it leaks. And at $4.69 for fuel I see a couple of dollars on the ground.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The whole bottom of the engine is wet. It only does it after i drive to truck not sitting there idling or revving. The harder i push the motor the more it leaks. And at $4.69 for fuel I see a couple of dollars on the ground.
nothing under the hood is wet (that you can see from the top)?

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah, super wet around the filter and pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts