Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the truck idles rough i replaced the rail pressure sensor and the fuel module.. the trucks rail pressure goes from 5100 up to 5900 without touching anything and put outs a lot of white smoke it popes and sounds like timing is off and is misfiring.. could a bad ecm do this i had a battery terminal melt down not to long ago and now I'm having this

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Bad ECM could have an effect, you could try and have it flashed/updated before you assume it's bad. Also if you haven't had the valves checked, they may need adjustment. Valves should be adjusted at 100K. The white smoke almost sounds like a bad injector or excessive blow by, but start with re-flashing ECM, then valves, then if nothing else resort to injectors after you check blow by.

·
Premium Member
7,071 Posts
ANY codes.
2nd bad injector or so. It will cause the white smoke and rail pressure fluctuations.
If your getting codes then maybe sensor related.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Could a bad ecm cause the set rail pressures to fluctuate all over the place?

Were using a snap-on reader and watching the set rail pressure fluctuate all over the place. When we hooked the same reader into a 04 cummins it didnt fluctuate at all it stayed at 5380?

·
Premium Member
7,071 Posts
I've never had a good enough scanner to read set rail pressure but I still would think injectors unless you had codes and or intermittent power.
The white smoke is what does it for me.
What terminal melted, why and what was the fix?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it does have the intermmitent power it misses and pops..

The terminal i believe was a bad battery i replaced the terminal that melted and replaced the battery and havent had a problem since

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.