Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 5.9 manual transmission is experiencing bogging and hesitation. The problem started to occur sporadically during moderate acceleration. I have always been faithful to add additive over the years. I changed the fuel filter, but the problem was not solved. I switched to the dirty injector additive and applied a double dose according to instructions. It did pretty good pulling through the AZ mountains from Mesa to Payson to Holbrook....very little hesitation. Just refueled and added cleaning additive again. Now the problem is worse than ever. After startup, it took 7 miles of slow interstate driving before the engine surged and returned to normal acceleration. During that time I could not get the engine to move beyond 1800 - 2000 rpm, regardless of the gear and topped out at 50 mph...no more until the surge of power returned. Afterwards it continued to sporadically lug/surge for shorter periods of time....a few seconds duration. I rechanged the filter right before the symptons worsened. The previous filter, which had just been changed a few weeks earlier was clean. I have no idea what the problem is.....getting ready to head into Indian lands with no services.

·
Registered
736 Posts
sounds like a dead pedal. if it is i wouldnt go much farther. do you have any codes? dead pedal means that your lift pump is going out, and your injection pump is on its way soon. you can test your lift pump by getting a fuel pressure gauge and seeing what kind of fuel pressure your getting. I'm not sure if you know about all this.... i just dont want you going into the indian lands without knowing about it. if it is what i am talking about you can get an injection pump for around 1k and lift pumps vary... you can get a stock replacement, or get a high quality one to replace the piece of junk stock one.

i had to fix mine, in my inexperience i had a dealership do it and it cost me $3200, but they did put in a FASS lift pump which is wayyyy better than stock. that one was 400

best of luck:thumbsup

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
no codes on this truck

I have tried the ignition test to see if codes appear.....none. I have model which is odd. It is just a step up from a work special....a ST, second generation body style. The diesel mechanic will be at the Holbrook Dodge on Thurday. They are willing work me in since I am an out-of-town'r. If what your saying is true than I could really get stuck with a bill and stuck in Holbrook for a while. Any info you can give me on how to go about replacing and/or getting the higher quality parts would be appreciated. I do have a gauge on the lift pump. It has not lost pressure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any info you can give me on how to go about replacing these pumps without getting pumped out of all my dough ...if they are indeed the culprit would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
736 Posts
what is the fuel press gauge reading?

FASS fuel system - fuel air separator system

here's a link to a site that sells the FASS (Fuel Air Separation System) They also have injection pumps for a good price as well.

but if your saying that the truck has not lost fuel pressure then i dont know if its the lift pump. If you can fill out your signature then we can see what year of truck ya got and what ya got on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good News! problem solved: sticking waist gate

:woot: I called a friend of mine back home who has a business with a few diesel trucks for delivery. He got me in touch with his diesel tech - a good ole' seasoned guy with lots of experience. He told me to check the waist gate. This made sense because in addition to the symptoms I had already mentioned, the turbo and fan air noise were abnormal, especially after my first startup to drive after the engine had set for a while or overnight.
His solution worked great! I sprayed very thoroughly the waste gate valve with WD-40 and the sticking quit. For future reference to readers the waste gate is located beside the air filter toward the firewall and down to the right - there is a 1/4" rod hooked to a lever which is the waist gate.
The total cost thankfully ended up only to be about $.02 for the lubricant and a waisted fuel filter. :hyper:
Thanks for all of your help and I will keep that link handy for use in the future! My gauge is reading 15 now.

·
Registered
736 Posts
well thats really good to hear. glad your up and running:thumbsup

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
problems still showing up about a month later....

Go to this thread:( dealership claims injector pump timing failure but have good lift pump pressure ) for an update on this situation

1 - 8 of 8 Posts