Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on a decent backup camera system? All the ones I've been looking at don't seem to fit the job.

I'd like to be able to see the hitch ball when hooking up. License plate frame cameras won't cut it due to the bumper ledge and the ball is 6" below that. I need something that mounts up higher and looks down. A temporary magnetic mount would be OK.

I'd also like to mount a camera on the back of the trailer. My depth perception isn't that great and when I use the right mirror to backup, the "smaller objects" mirror makes it hard.

I'm leaning towards hardwired because most reviews on cameras say the wireless is poor, and it would be even worse going back another 20' to the end of the trailer.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Stupid thought, but why not extend your hitch a few inches more and get a license plate cam? You should be able to angle it down just enough to see the hitch.

Agreed on the hardwire. I have yet to see wireless cameras that actually hold their own with regards to reception and bandwidth

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
I actually just did what you want to do. I used a license plate mount camera. With it, I can see the top of the ball on my 8" drop hitch, but also easily see my no drop hitch for our travel trailer well. My radio has a fold out screen and two video inputs. I wired the backup camera on the truck to a switch instead of coming on with reverse lights. Then the second input, I'm using it to go to the camera I installed in the bumper of my travel trailer. I just plug in these connections when I hook up the trailer wiring. The camera is always powered on when the trailer is hooked up so I can just switch between inputs on the radio.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I have a license plate frame camera and a drop hitch, works just great for hooking up. It's connected to my Edge CTS monitor, comes on in reverse or I can manually 'view camera' at any time. I can back up to hook up in one shot. :thumbup:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just mounted my camera at the top of my license plate and it shows the hitch ball perfectly. I used this camera:

https://www.amazon.com/Esky-EC170-06-Waterproof-Backup-0-86X0-65X0-50-inch/dp/B00GSFIJS6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490724806&sr=8-2&keywords=esky+camera

It's easy to fabricate a mount for it out of perforated hanging strap. Just be careful that that tailgate won't hit it when you lower it.

My post about installing the double-din navigation/backup-cam head unit:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/25549586-post496.html

·
Western WA President
8,439 Posts
i have the license place one too, wired to fold out screen in dash nav..

but my reverse lights don't come on with my truck in reverse, have those on a switch cause the transmissions not quite right and doesn't engage reverse light switches even when replaced 3 times and brand new...

so dash switch for that, but camera comes on with my running lights. pulled power from one of my license plate lights so just need to turn on marker lights and the camera is on.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have the license plate mount as well but I can't see the ball when it's adjusted all the way down on my 8" drop hitch. Thankfully most of the trailers I use require the ball to be higher so it hasn't really been an issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tried a couple of backup camera kits (wired and wireless) they weren't very sharp and monitor had to be mounted in bad location .. So I bought a new stereo with pop out 7" screen , it has a very good clear screen , it had backup input and another video input so I have 2 cameras hooked up (1 backup and 1 mounted high) ...

·
Registered
259 Posts
keep fingers crossed and maybe one day you will get an answer to the question you asked and not the one they had answers for, lol. I too want a decent and cheap wired camera for the truck and for the trailer (two cameras, one screen). I have heard that the $30 ones on Amazon or similar are not worth the bother.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wireless backup camera system

Any suggestions on a decent backup camera system? All the ones I've been looking at don't seem to fit the job.

I'd like to be able to see the hitch ball when hooking up. License plate frame cameras won't cut it due to the bumper ledge and the ball is 6" below that. I need something that mounts up higher and looks down. A temporary magnetic mount would be OK.

I'd also like to mount a camera on the back of the trailer. My depth perception isn't that great and when I use the right mirror to backup, the "smaller objects" mirror makes it hard.

I'm leaning towards hardwired because most reviews on cameras say the wireless is poor, and it would be even worse going back another 20' to the end of the trailer.
I suggest you to go with a digital wireless backup camera system, which is specific to its own transmitter and receiver in a way to protect against interference. most reviews on camera say that wireless is poor is because they use analog wireless reverse camera. I bought this digital reversing camera system from this vendor on my truck, so far so good. you can also adjust camera angle for better hitching. this is more information from this vendor :
brakelightcamera.com/product-category/wireless-backup-cameras/

·
Registered
421 Posts
keep fingers crossed and maybe one day you will get an answer to the question you asked and not the one they had answers for, lol. I too want a decent and cheap wired camera for the truck and for the trailer (two cameras, one screen). I have heard that the $30 ones on Amazon or similar are not worth the bother.
I answered the question exactly as he asked it, I'm not sure what the confusion is. Since you seem to need some more handholding, here's a pic of my setup, which does show the hitch ball and as you can see I have a 6" drop hitch.

So I have given a link to the camera that works, and how to fabricate your own mount ABOVE the license plate to get the correct angle. What more do you need?

As for the trailer camera, that's just extremely basic wiring and a switch on the dash to select between them. That's common sense. A 2-way video switchbox would simplify the wiring even more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I answered the question exactly as he asked it, I'm not sure what the confusion is. Since you seem to need some more handholding, here's a pic of my setup, which does show the hitch ball and as you can see I have a 6" drop hitch.
I don't need you to hold my hand, or any of my other body parts for that matter.
Even if I mount the camera above the license plate, the bumper would block the view the to ball. Its not going to see below the bottom of the pipe.

A couple of weeks ago I did buy a couple of the newer version of those Esky cameras, a cheap 5" monitor, and a 4 port ratshack video switcher.
Haven't had time to bench test it yet.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts