Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off and on over the past couple of months the back up camera gets all wonky. I've checked the connections and they are tight and the only way to get it to clear up is to slam the tailgate. The cargo camera in the third brake light is ok for now. Anybody else have a similar issue that may help figure it out before having to buy a new one?
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Plant Mode of transport

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
There’s been a few issues like that. Usually it’s the harness in the tailgate I believe. I can’t remember if it’s separate from the camera or not

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
There’s been a few issues like that. Usually it’s the harness in the tailgate I believe. I can’t remember if it’s separate from the camera or not
The Harness and camera are separate items.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Disconnect the harness from the camera inside the tailgate and carefully close up the terminals in the receptacle so they're tighter on the camera's pins. And put some dielectric grease in there in each cavity, too, but not too much. This connection is constantly problematical.

Reactions: Klausenheimer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I will work on getting that done

·
Registered
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4
19 Posts
I’ve had the same issue with mine lately and it’s usually have shutting the tailgate. I have had issues with my 7 way plugged in and the camera not working but I think it was coincidence. Took the cover off this morning and put some dialectic grease on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had an issue like this on my 2011. Unplugged it at the tailgate, cleaned the connectors, plugged it back in and it works great now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had two harnesses replaced, finally I opened the cover on tailgate and cleaned the plug. I then added two zip ties to hold it with tension from each side, kinda like two hands trying to pull it open, not one problem since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I opened the tailgate up and checked the connectors. They all looked clean but I used a little contact cleaner and blew it out with an air hose. Put some dielectric grease on it and put it back together.

We will see how it goes.

I also took a picture of the pigtail feeding the lock and camera just in case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts