Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well, thought the problem was fixed with the replacement of the ingnition switch in the column, that was 400 bucks wasted.

It is doing it again, I have to turn the key on take my manny out of gear and hit the + post to start my truck again with a wire connected to the plug on the firewall.

I am really getting tired of this crap and am about to trade the thing in on a chevy.

Anyone have any ideas?

The mech is going to pop out the starter and have it checked and rebuilt if necessary, I like to fell on the floor when dodge told me it was 800 bucks for a starter.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone have any ideas other then the starter causing this.
It starts just fine when I hot wire it, just won't start when I turn the key

·
Registered
297 Posts
So it wont start with the key, but will whe you jump the starter solenoid?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You have an open circuit between the key switch and the starter relay. A simple problem that will be very difficult to find, and take 3 minutes to fix when you find it.

Good luck.

Ops

·
Registered
227 Posts
what about the switch under the dash for the clutch? What year is your truck? if it has a switch on the clutch pedal assembly then it may not be making proper contact to allow ignition signal to the starter.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
It starts just fine when I hot wire it, just won't start when I turn the key
Then why would you (or your mechanic) suspect the starter?

I would investigate what Brian and Ops wrote about.

While it is probably not needed for this issue, in general, filling out your profile will help people help you.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what about the switch under the dash for the clutch? What year is your truck? if it has a switch on the clutch pedal assembly then it may not be making proper contact to allow ignition signal to the starter.
Been here did that, already done didn't help BUT the speing was broken and it did need to be changed, I have an 06 mega cab 5.9 cummings

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, getting back to the suspicion of the starter, it is drawing a HUGE amount of amps, so this leads me to believe that one there is a wire chafed and is grounding upon ignition, or two, there is a bad connection between the starter and the cyliniod (sorry spelled it wrong).

I am about to drop the starter and break it down and go from there, IE give it a good cleaning, check the contacts and the brushes and have the amps checked.

I can't think of anything else, I have changed the switched on the clutch which really did need to be changed srpings were broken in the slide, the ignition switch in the column, cheaper then a starter at 846 bucks the only other thing is the starter itself or a wire leading to it.

Off to go hunting, I will check back between cold beverage breaks hehehehe and see if anyone has any other ideas or I find something and have another question about it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
That's what warranties are for.

An '06 should be under warranty still.

If not, I'd just put a starter button from an SRT-10 in there and start it up like that....

Merrick

·
Registered
32 Posts
If the starter is drawing very high amps, its NOT a bad connection. What i've found with high starter amp draw is worn brushes, they form a curl on the brush which makes them wider and each touch two segments on the armature causing much higher amp draw. It sounds like starter rebuilding time to me and put on a new solenoid while your at it and it may fix all your problems.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If it is the starter dont pay $800.00. I dont know if we use the same starter but I replaced mine myself for $200 something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts