Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, heres what i'm thinking about trying. i know theres going to be a bunch of people saying it wont work, but thats not what i want to hear unless you have a reason as to why.

1st off im not looking to make a retarded amout of power, or boost, maximum boost will be 32-35 psi.

im going to install an hx40 on my truck, but it would be nice to keep the awesome low end response and boost that my hy35 provides.

so that leads me to think that an hy35/hx40 compound set up will do what i want. have the hy35 wastegated at 20psi, which should get the hx40 spooling quite well, and have it wastegated at 32-35 psi.

the hx40 i have on the way is a 16cm housing.

like i said, im not looking for anymore power than i would be w/ the hx40 pushing 35psi, just want to loose the lag. the hx40 should help the egt's alot, will having the hy35 before it hurt the egt's?

:beer

·
Go for Broke
6,694 Posts
that set up will spool about the same as a HX35

Turbos are too close to the same size to work right

for all the work and money to build that set-up a good 62/12 will work a lot better and spool faster then that twin set-up

·
Registered
674 Posts
a matched set of towing twins will spool faster than a hx35 and provide way more power and less drive pressure. but if your not looking for much more power go with the 62/12 like graphic man said

·
Registered
90 Posts
what about an actual twin setup, not a compound setup, with a couple of HX35's or WH1C's, each running off of 3 cylinders....

·
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats the same as putting one MASSIVE turbo on all 6 cylinders, aka, slow spool

·
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that set up will spool about the same as a HX35

Turbos are too close to the same size to work right

for all the work and money to build that set-up a good 62/12 will work a lot better and spool faster then that twin set-up
see this is the part that i don't understand, if you have a small turbo and a large turbo, how can it spool like one medium sized turbo. as far as the time and money, the time i have, the money wont be much as i will fab everything myself.

could someone explain "Turbos are too close to the same size to work right" as i see it (and I'm sure there is more that I'm not seeing) as long as the turbos aren't the same size, it should work.

·
Go for Broke
6,694 Posts
anytime you run a twins it will spool a little slower then the smallest turbo

in that set-up the two turbos are too close in size and you will not see any quicker spool or any benefit to it

the reason it will spool slower is because the 1st turbo needs to spool the larger turbo

·
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i see what you're saying. im going to put the 40 on for a while, see how i like it, the i may try the hy35/hx40 twins just to see what happens. it may fail miserably, but i enjoy playing with stuff

·
Registered
181 Posts
Agreed, that this may not produce the optimal twin setup, however I myself have been pondering a similar setup. I have thought about creating a T3 adapter in a sort of T shape spacer off of the manifold wo the divider, so all six cylinders push both HX35's. I am thinking that this might cause a slow spooler, maybe, but on the other hand it seems to me an effeicient 20lbs through each turbo would kick arse. Even 25 through each? 50 psi- using stockers sounds $heap. The catch would be the Y exagust or duels, and the fabrication of the IC pipe. Both HX 35's would need a BHAF. The thread is not yet dead! What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
maybe do a hx30/40 setup?

Something a little smaller to keep the stock like spool, yet the 40 would be able to move enough air to do the job....?

·
Rescue Tower
10,813 Posts
see this is the part that i don't understand, if you have a small turbo and a large turbo, how can it spool like one medium sized turbo. as far as the time and money, the time i have, the money wont be much as i will fab everything myself.

could someone explain "Turbos are too close to the same size to work right" as i see it (and I'm sure there is more that I'm not seeing) as long as the turbos aren't the same size, it should work.
Think of it as climbing stairs. You can climb a set of stairs with short steps but in order to touch every step you have to move your feet faster. Alternately you could skip two or three steps at a time. With two very similar turbo’s you are trying to touch every step while keeping your speed up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah maybe, but im imagining the spool should be similar running higher mods (much More Fuel) than stock. Just a more effeiciant way to use the two HX35's usually attained for little to nothing. In other words using the small ex housings and internal wastgates for a littl more go. This Idea would be running 2 turbos seperately and not feeding one another.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts