Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get a B&W hitch but I need the 5th wheel also. I want a heavier duty hitch than 18k. I read somewhere, cannot find it, that someone was using B&Ws flat bed companion that is rated for 22k in a pickup bed. Anyone heard of this or done it. As the 22k is fixed at like 10" I would be worried about not enough bed clearance. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried that they are stupid! I read it on a forum just cannot find it and trying to gather on others knowledge. Thanks

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I wish I could help but the dealer installed an Attwood popup gooseneck on my truck and welded the damn thing on. I didn't realize that was a problem until I wanted my hitch dealer to install the B&W. He said he couldn't because he would have to take the goose off and he couldn't do that because it was welded onto the frame and removing the welds would weaken the frame. He said a hydroformed frame, which the 3500 dually is, should never be welded on.

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,033 Posts
I was searching the B&W sight and could not find another hitch option other then the 18k one. the gooseneck is rated at 30k. I guess thats why most large trailers have the goosneck type hitch.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I went with the standard reese rails so that I could get this hitch.

Air Safe - Air Hitch Technology

After having this one I don't want anything else and can deal with the rails in the bed the rest of the time because it makes hauling my camper much easier on the truck and on me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A Companion Hitch Does Not Need Rails, It Fits In The 2-1/2"square Hole In The B&w Flip Hitch.but Only 18k.Bolt On A Colibert Adaptor For 399 On Sale At Camper World Right Now.the Bolt On Takes About 1 Hour To Install.have Fun Starting The Nuts On The Bolts Inside The Pin Box.just Did Mine Like That!use 2 Wrenches Tiewraped Together With Some Caulk Tape On The Nuts To Reach If You Have To.Make Sure You Follow The Torque Instructions To The LETTER!

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I have the B&W hitch in my truck and I love. I also use the companion hitch and haven't had any problems with clearance yet.

Here is the link for B&W: B&W Custom Truck Beds, Inc.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The B&W companion can be adjusted a few inches up/down and front/back by changing bolt locations. I love mine. I can have it installed in all of 5 minutes. That includes climbing underneath to spray lube on the slide pin that gets stuck from the road grime under the truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts