Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Axle u joint replacement

1004 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  thomas_c
I'm gonna be replacing some u joints tomorrow and I haven't found a good write up on this topic. For the axle joints, once I get the hub assembly off will the shaft just slide out or is it necessary to drain the diff and remove the axle seal? I've read conflicting directions.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
325 Posts
I'm gonna be replacing some u joints tomorrow and I haven't found a good write up on this topic. For the axle joints, once I get the hub assembly off will the shaft just slide out or is it necessary to drain the diff and remove the axle seal? I've read conflicting directions.
It will just come out, be carefull there is a seal in there when you put it back in hold the shaft up so you dont damage the seal. Look in there before you put it back in and you will see.

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect. Thank you much.

· West Virginia Chapter VP
1,369 Posts
It will just come out, be carefull there is a seal in there when you put it back in hold the shaft up so you dont damage the seal. Look in there before you put it back in and you will see.
I will just confirm what he said :thumbsup: Done mine not to long ago

· Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Jack up just the side that you are working on and you won't loose any fluid when you pull the shaft.

· Registered
66 Posts
If you put the axle on jack stands you can do both sides w/o loosing any fluid. I did mine that way But like they said be careful putting them back in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.