Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so my truck had bad ball joints, figured id change the u joints while in there. drivers side went well, passenger side not so much. could not get the hub out of the knuckle. unded up having to split the knuckle from ball joints and taking the hub and knuck off as one. while being carfull not to pull the axle out of the gear case. got it all back together including a new hub as the old one got trashed. took it for a 5 mile loop parked it all was good. checked today and i got a drop of gear oil on the ground. it is possible some leaked out while i had the axle out, but none leaked on ground while working on it. plus what little that could have came out should take days to show up not 12hrs. how much of a job is it to change the inner seals?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
caleb90, i would give it some time before tearing through it right away, it could be just residual from your recent encounter with the ball joint and if it is leaking, then you'll be doing the same exact work that you did with the ball joint to get to the seals. Good Luck..

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
If I pull the front shafts I just do the seals. They always seem leak afterwards. Usually what happens is the spring on the emseal pops off. Whe you do a new one I coat it in grease so it stays on.

To do the seals you have to pull both shafts and the center section out so you can get to the seals.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jacked the drivers side up last night and left it. just checked when i got home and there is a 6inx6in puddle. oil always looks worse on the ground. going to clean it up and drive it some to see what happens. my gut is telling me axle seal, seeing how hard i had to fight to get the passenger side out

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doing some research. there seems to be a way to replace the passenger side with out pulling the internals?

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Are you looking at the newer models with a CAD? You can do the passenger side on a CAD axle without taking the center section out. Not sure how you could do them on a non CAD axle.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
please explain what CAD is? when i think of a differential the guts. ring gear, spiders n housing would be called the wad. front end is a aam 9.25

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also i took the fill plug out tonight n about 1/8th of a quart came out. so fingers crossed, maybe i lost more in the axle tube than i thought

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,758 Posts
please explain what CAD is? when i think of a differential the guts. ring gear, spiders n housing would be called the wad. front end is a aam 9.25
Center axle disconnect This is an newer drawing, but shows you what it is. There is an intermediate shaft, and your axle shaft. The shift fork engages the axle to the intermediate shaft when 4x4 engages. This image is for the newer trucks, as the 10-12 trucks did not had CAD. It is primarily used to increase fuel economy and reduce wear while in 2wd

XV1018 2013-up Dodge Ram 2500/3500 AAM 925 CAD Front Axle Exploded ...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
my truck has live axles, 4x4 enagages at the transfur case

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
my truck has live axles, 4x4 enagages at the transfur case

Yes, I know that. I was saying that there is no way to change out the seals on the front axle without pulling the center section and both shafts. You have to have room to drive in the seals and it cannot be done with the center section in. The newer trucks with a CAD you can do the passenger side without pulling the center section.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I know that. I was saying that there is no way to change out the seals on the front axle without pulling the center section and both shafts. You have to have room to drive in the seals and it cannot be done with the center section in. The newer trucks with a CAD you can do the passenger side without pulling the center section.
ok im with you now. i have never messed with differentials to the degree of removing the center wad and resetting the lash and every thing. a bit scary to think about. ive done every thing from trannys to headgaskets replacing main bearings and the like in many things but never a differential

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i need to drive it more, like i said about 1/8th quart came out fill plug on level ground. really hoping i lost more in the tube than i had thought. still have it jacked up to one side to drain the tube. we shall see

1 - 13 of 13 Posts