Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to bring the of the flatbed down to give it a more aggressive look as its a 2wd and i am thinking of mounting the rear on top of the springs as this will drop it down a good inch or so and will allow for the use of lowering blocks, has anyone even ever heard of anyone doing this on a 1 ton 1st gen dodge before and if so what would need to be done to accomplish it like u-bolts, spring perches, so on and so fourth...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It will lower it more then 1 inch.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
measure your axle diameter and thats how much it will drop it. and i wouldnt tow a single thing if you did cause then all of your weight will be suported by 4 u bolts and 4 u bolts only not the axle like it came. i think the best way to lowere a 1st gen would be take all but a few leafs outta the leaf spring pack in the rear and use air bags. then up front have custom made coils or just cut them down your self. but thats prlly not the only way but a idea. good luck

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
ohh yeah, a fair amount more than 1 inch.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i wasnt even thinking about the axle tube diameter, i was only thinking about the spring pack thickness, looks like the axe for the flip, i figured it would kill the hauling factor for the reasons stated, i think eventually i am going to bag it front and rear, but that is not going to be cheap since i will need severe duty bags to handle the weight of the cummins and still be able to tow, it will be nice having a air set-up on the truck, ill probably do an engine driven compressor for super fast tank fills and ill have ports for air tool hook-ups, it will be nice to tow my camaro to the track and be able to air the tires back up before i leave...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Just make some longer shackles for it, if you want 1" of drop make them 2" longer than stock if you want 2" of drop make em 4" longer than stock

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just find a different lift block. Stick it under the axle in place of the stock ones and you will get the desired lower ride without sacrificing your trucks ability to work. I think they are 3" blocks so you would need a 2" or even a 1.5" block. EDIT: I just looked at the "pluggin along" thread and I'm thinking these trucks don't have lift blocks like my old 79 1/2 ton. So I guess nevermind.
DS79

·
Registered
658 Posts
Deerslayer- 2wds lack the blocks of the 4x4s.

If you want to lower it 2-3 inches, I'll trade spring packs with ya- my W350's are almost level now:lol3:.

Daniel

·
Registered
150 Posts
In his sig it says he has a W350 so lift blocks should be an easy fix. Thanks for the info on D & W lift blocks. EDIT: reread the post he was asking about his 2wd.
DS7, don't mind me, I'm a [email protected]$^#(t.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the shackles may be a good idea, im still tryin to figure out exactly what i want to do but thank you guys for all the input so far...

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Typically an axle flip will yeild the axle diameter, + the height of the spring pads (about 1"-1.5"). Total yeild will be around 5"-6".

·
Registered
242 Posts
lower a 4wd!? :thud:

get a leveling kit

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Read again. His truck is 2wd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts