Cummins Diesel Forum banner

"AX" Flash and the Differences...

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  LRCanon 
#1 ·
Guys,

I got the reflash done this past Monday and been scrambling around feeling my way through the differences I have with this new flash...

First thing I noticed was the boost from the VGT comes in alot sooner now, which is a great thing as I have needed more air to this motor all along and had no other way to get more.

After the first day of the 400 mile route I run, I get the feeling this sucker might have even enough air now to loose the fuel timing knock with the EGR deleted. So I pull the EGR and delete all this again and they say the 3rd time is the charm LOL, well it has been so far now...

The engine temps of this motor also now, with how hot it runs seem to be in its favor now with the extra air and the hotter temps of the motor from 200 F and up seems to be just the ticket to get a good burn on the 3 pulse shot of each injector. Motor is noticeable stronger...

I get just a very small hint of the fuel knock with the temps under 190 F... Certainly nothing bad enough to run the evil EGR and all the bad things its doing in the crankcase oil... The 6.7 doesn't stay under 195 for very long at all anyway LOL...

I ran the 6.7 one full day on the route without the EGR and its getting better and better by the miles it runs off and cleaning all the soot out of the combustion chambers. I even hear a difference in the motor now and the throttle response is noteably better as well. YEA!!!

The lack of throttle response on the 6.7 really is low suck and needs to be addressed if you ask me. Its almost slow enough to respond to throttle input to be a safety issue JIMO.
DC needs to address this...

Got in this afternoon from the route and figure I would change the oil to help get the crankcase cleaned up from the lack of the EGR... The other things I wanted to do with changing the stat out for a 180 degree and cool the engine temps down a little is on the back burner now with being able to run the 6.7 without the EGR till we can get the Code free delete module, then we might see how things are then...

Intake temps today with 90 degree temps outside was at least 70 degrees less than what I usually see. Sure like that guys... EGT temps ran cooler as well and was quicker to cool when you get out of the throttle. You pull up to a traffic light and have to wait for it to change and go green, I saw 90 degree temps in the intake instead of the 170-180 temps I saw before with the EGR on. The EGT's would go right down to 350-450 instead of the 800-1100 temps I use to see on these. Just got to love it!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thats great Jeb.

Keep up the great work! :thumbsup

#5 ·
I just got the AX and the G30 recall done on Tuesday. I will have to say that from my stock flash that was on it the throttle response is a little better. Milleage on the over head is around 18.3 instead of 17.3 like before. I was getting 15.6 hand calced with just a intake before. I still have not filled up to see if it was a actual 1 mpg gain or not.

#6 ·
Well, I just got in!!! Long freakin' day if you ask me... I left the house at 2:30am this morning and its now 10:15pm and a little over 1000 miles later... Did I say a long day LOL... I am glad I don't run this sort of miles everyday.

I had a short run with just the truck by itself this afternoon and I have been wanting to check out the mileage like this. This all said and done now is somewhat funny. Dodge should be really happy with their self with the OHC... What a joke. It was showing 18.4-20.3 on a short 247 mile run... Now I knew it was not going to be that good, but I had hoped for somewhere around 15-16 maybe, with the OHC showing what it was. I have not seen the OHC show that high of a reading before.

Well after a fill up and hand calculating the numbers, 13.5 mpg was what I ended up with. This damn truck has been the worst truck I have had to figure out the fuel mileage issues. I have not even been able to use the OHC reading to know when its better or worse. Not sure what the mileage readings of the OHC is good for:(

I have yet to figure out where to set the Juice at for best mileage, since the "AX" flash. The return trip I had a really large and heavy boat in tow and I got 11.7 MPG over the same 247 mile trip. Just a quick down to a boat dealer and then back here with this dealer transfer... Mileage was not that much different down there empty and back in tow... Down there I set the Juice on 3 as I use to get better mileage on 3 and 4. The OHC showed I was still getting good mileage, but that turned out to be way wrong.

On the return I changed the setting of the Juice to a 1 and I got almost the same mileage LOL... So, the jury is still out guys...

#7 ·
ccn flash

There is a new flash AF it is supposed to recalibrate the CCN. I filled up today the ohc said 14.5 hand calc 14.65 that is pretty close .CCN=cabin control node

#8 ·
S468,

Yes, I have heard about something to help the OHC, but the funny part on my OHC is that it seems to depend on where I set my Juice as to what I get on the OHC and how close it is or isn't. Not sure about that just yet, but it sure seems to be at this point. I will be checking this out next week...

#10 ·
man jeb that's weird.....I ran a 350 mile trip about two weeks ago, the overhead said 22.4 and I got 21.2. mine has always been about 1.5-2.0 mpg high. this was unloaded running about 70-75 mph. well I say unloaded, a few 4x6 fence posts and 6 sacks of concrete don't count for much, just helps smooth out the ride really....lol my edge never comes off 5, I have changed it and even cruising on the highway on 1 I get the same or .2 less depending on the wind as I do on 5. I guess I have been blessed with a mileage beast.

#11 ·
LRC,

You have a really good running truck from the sounds of it dude. What Tranny are you running and what gears do you have in here if you don't mind me asking???

Mine has been really poor mileage from the start, its gotten a little better from some of the things I have done and/or removed LOL... I am thinking right now that I may be dealing with not enough fuel getting to the CP3 and causing the erratic mileage now. I ordered a fuel rail guage kit and the electric 30psi guage as well. I will get these mounted up soon as JBarker of Holland Court Diesel...
Holland Court Diesel Sales

Gets these sent to me and I will know shortly there after... Then I got to chase up the $$$ for the Raptor fuel lift pump... If this not the case for my mileage or lack of, I am not sure what it will be. Right now I am betting on running low on fuel to the CP3... Lets hope so LOL

#12 ·
I am still trying to find my best milage since my AX flash so I am running pup tow, edge 1 and MP8 80%. I just finished my first tank since the AX flash and got 22MPG 20% city and 80% highway with plenty of warm up because it was below freezing lastweek. I will get better milage now because the weather is finally warming up and I dont have to idle the truck for almost an hour aday. My milage isnt much better then before the G30 and AX but it will improve also since I finally cleaned my dirty a$$ filter. I got the biggest MPG increase so far from the MP-8.

#15 ·
Does anyone have the tsb for the AX or AF flash, or is one of these done with the G30 recall? My dealership has no idea what I'm talking about when I tell him about this stuff. Thanks.

#16 ·
If you haven't done the G30 recall yet they will flash your 07.5 with the newest version which I believe is still the AX flash. My service department had now clue what I was talking about with what flash I was getting because I wanted to make sure I got the AX. I made them let me talk to the diesel tech. He knew what I was talking about and said I wood be getting the AX flash along with the new O2 module.

#18 ·
When I plug my pup in and change a tune it tells me what flash is in the truck. When I put my tow tune in it said AX along with abunch of numbers.

#20 ·
RT4,

If you got the G30 when it first came out dude, you most likely got the AU flash... The last flash out now as of two Mondays past anyway, is the AX...

Jon,

The pup showing the flash that you have and the version number is pretty cool dude... 20 freakin MPG is pretty awesome if you ask me, and from where I am with mine...

The fact the AX flash has allowed me to be able to delete the EGR and run without fuel knock is great. Fuel mileage has not gone up with this, but being able to run without the EGR and having the engine oil with color in it and after 2000 miles is freakin' killer guys. That black sludge for crankcase oil and after 5 minutes of changing it is to bad for me and my motors...

I understand from everyone running the MP8 and getting the big increase in mileage, it just seems to be the ticket right now. I am still on order to get the Infinite P&D module to get the timing back in this motor...

I also figure my fuel lift system is not helping anything for fuel mileage either. I ordered the rail fuel pressure guage kit and the 30psi electric fuel guage, to better moniture all this. I got these ordered from Holland Court Diesel a couple days ago. I needed to order the Raptor fuel lift pump also, but I am spending all my money for fuel on the route right now, so it will have to come later...

#22 ·
Hey Jeb, sorry I have been away from the computer for a couple days.

I have the 6 speed auto with 373's in the rearend. I did another run yesterday, 250 miles. Mostly 75-80 mph and got just a hair under 21 mpg hand calculated. About 70 miles of that was intown driving so strictly highway i should see just over 21 mpg. I do know that when I came back there was a bad headwind, I could see the trees laying over, probably about a 15 mph wind. Overall I am really happy with the truck. And just to note, I have not done the G30 recall on this truck, and am running AU software version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.