Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has forked over the money for one of these units. I believe to be around $3000. If my math and assumptions are correct it could pay for itself in fuel cost savings.

15000 mi a year divided by 15 mpg at $4 a gal equals $4000.

divided by 18 mpg I hope to get with overdrive unit would be $3333

So it would take about 4.5 yrs to pay for itself. Maybe sooner if fuel prices keep going up.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
yea they are expensive but they are super nice. if you plan on havin truck for a while it'll definitely pay for itself and the motor will run where it wants to at 70 mph. it's an investment worth lookin into if you got a fat pocket.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No fat pocket but good credit. I drive a truck for a living and when I drive my dodge on interstate I want to shift again because the rpms are so high.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I never really checked how much difference mine made. I didnt take that many trips with it that I wasnt pulling a trailer. wish I had better info.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have looked into Gear Vendors a couple times and I always shy away for 2 reasons. Cost and service intervals. The 5000 mile oil change recommendation is just hard for me since I run on avg 12,000 -15,000 a month. Myself I am thinking of just going to 3.42 gears instead.

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
I want one for a couple reasons.. One the reduced rpm's in 6 over, and the better ratio for mountain towing with 5th over... With the 6 speed I haven't felt the need for 3rd or 4th over.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have no idea how what I'm going to suggest would work with any automatic, but there is a gear box called a "Brownlipe", and while the majority of them are for 1250 foot lbs of torque, making them large, and heavy, but they also made some suitable for a 1 ton. Most I've encountered were a 20 % under drive, direct, and an 15 or 18 % overdrive. Had one mounted behind the 5 speed and a 12 valve, was ideal. Since I didn't often tow heavy loads, once on the highway, could usually drop engine rpm by 450 when in the double overdrive of the 5 speed plus the browny. For that installation, I hung the browny from the cross member the drive shaft carrier bearing had been, making only one drive shaft require shortening. They are not real popular east of the Mississippi, but out west, I'll bet one can be found for $400 or less, in truck salvage yards. They are non synchronized, which requires a learning curve, and attaining some skill, but work extremely well, adding pulling power between formerly dead spots between large gear splits. If you found one, replace seals, have bearings checked, fresh lubricating fluid, and total including installation should be less than $1 K One caution, if you locate a 3 or 4 speed unit, make sure you get the shifter with it, as they use two push pull shifting rods, to get the miltiple speeds. Check it out, but I dropped enough rpms to raise my fuel mileage by almost 3 mpg average, plus in double overdrive, it would realy haul buggy, indicating well over the 100 mph mark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts