Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Aux trans cooler installed

19K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  tryNto 
#1 ·
I decided to go ahead and install my Derale Hyper-Cool aux trans cooler this past weekend. I got it back in the beginning of the year when I did my 47re swap, but never got around to installing because the factory cooler works pretty good. Anyway, I figured since it was just sitting in the garage, why not. Here is how I went about it.

This pic shows fabbing a bracket on to the rear skid plate cross member using scrap material, compliments of my buddy and cf member muffinman944 :thumbsup:

And another view

Installed and ready for cooler

Cooler mounted

Lines tied into factory lines

Lines secured

Lines attached to cooler

Another view, it is mounted at a 50* angle for maximum clearance and air flow, the fan is setup to pull.

This is setup so that the hot line from the trans goes to the factory cooler up front, then to the aux cooler in the back and then to the trans. I have not even wired the fan up and I have already noticed an average of 20* F drop in overall temp.

I hope this info helps anyone considering installing an aux trans cooler! :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a great spot for it. I had the same cooler in my 06 and loved it. When the fan would kick on it would drop temps in a hurry. Especially on those long slow, stuck behind and idiot climbs on the mountain passes. :thumbsup:

Reactions: thepitts5
#6 ·
This helped me greatly I'm buying one for mine within this week I had no idea where I was gunna mount I love your idea so I'm gunna copy it! I was planning on running the coolers in series like that as well. Where did you get the lines? I know theres a hose power around me but I know I'm gunna pay out the a$$ for some lines from them

Reactions: thepitts5
#10 ·
How loud is it? Can u hear it sitting in traffic? While driving?

#11 ·
As far as on the truck I have not wired it, but when I tested it on the bench it sounded like a regular house fan. I'm sure that I will not hear it inside the cab. When I get it wired I will update this thread along with more temp readings. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
Thanks what size braided lines did you use?

#16 ·
I used -8 which is 1/2" inside diameter.

I have also now wired the fan up and I cannot hear it from inside the truck at all. I am still trying to get more data on temps and driving conditions, but I will say it is definitely keeping temps down!

#17 ·
Thanks again gunna be ordering some stuff here soon. Did yours wire up with a thermostat or just to a switch? Ats one with fan cooler and thermostat was about 280 if I'm not mistaking I havnt looked around though I feel it would be cheaper to do a not so big of a name cooler and wire the fan up to a switch with a relay. I feel like I'm just paying more for a name with a ats cooler and it's not hard to turn on a switch vs it doing it itself. all coolers should do about the same correct?

#18 ·
I have a thermo switch but opted not to install it, so I'm running the fan on a regular switch. As for the brand of cooler, I went with Derale because they offer a 25 row cooler in a compact size. :thumbsup:

Now for an update on temps.

Yesterday I did a lot of stop and go driving in traffic, never really getting above 2nd gear and outside air temp was above 100*. It took a long time for the trans temp to reach 170* with the fan off, so that is a plus! I then turned the fan on while it was creeping toward 175* and it started coming down gradually and settled around 170*. Still in the same situation for another 15 min or so, with the fan on it maintained a trans temp of 170* until I was free of traffic. Total distance was about 5 miles and it took almost an hour to travel it! :doh:

Later on I was on the interstate with the same outside temp. Running 75 to 80 mph for about 45 miles with the fan off the trans stayed between 135* and 140* on not so flat TN roads!

Eventually I will do some towing and report my findings, but overall I am happy with this cooler and definitely recommend it. :thumbsup:

#19 ·
Did you ever do any towing with it yet? Any slow curvy switch back roads loaded down with a trailer?

#21 ·
Nice! The weakest link on my truck is the trans and its tendency to overheat on slow-n-go tows (unless I drop into 4Lo).

I've been thinking about adding electric fans in front of the condenser/radiator combo, but this may be better.

#23 ·
I have it as well and def recommend it! Hottest I've seen since adding this is 190* and that was stop and go traffic for over an hour while grossing 34k lbs. Oh and I have not wired up the fan yet.

Hey Pitts just curious what is your trans temp sitting at while cruising down the highway?

#25 ·
What was the total u spent.

#26 ·
im going to do this install next weekend, im going to try to eliminate the whole factory cooler and just run the aftermarket cooler, with a 145k on the clock and factory heat exchanger on the side of the block im worried about mixing fluids, and also the stupid thermostat in the factory cooler is a real POS design, will this cooler keep my transmission cool all by its self with the fan working???

#27 ·
We're the lines a plug and play deal or did you have to splice fittings on the hardlines? I want to do this for peace of mind.

#29 ·
Clean install but any reason you didn't mount the cooler the other way around with the fan facing the other way?
Seems like you'd get better airflow over the cooler and easier for the fan to just pull air threw the cooler when on too.

Also since the system is under pressure could one mount the cooler with both ports facing down without any issues?

#34 ·
I decided to go ahead and install my Derale Hyper-Cool aux trans cooler this past weekend. I got it back in the beginning of the year when I did my 47re swap, but never got around to installing because the factory cooler works pretty good. Anyway, I figured since it was just sitting in the garage, why not. Here is how I went about it.

This pic shows fabbing a bracket on to the rear skid plate cross member using scrap material, compliments of my buddy and cf member muffinman944 👍

And another view

Installed and ready for cooler

Cooler mounted

Lines tied into factory lines

Lines secured

Lines attached to cooler

Another view, it is mounted at a 50* angle for maximum clearance and air flow, the fan is setup to pull.

This is setup so that the hot line from the trans goes to the factory cooler up front, then to the aux cooler in the back and then to the trans. I have not even wired the fan up and I have already noticed an average of 20* F drop in overall temp.

I hope this info helps anyone considering installing an aux trans cooler! 👍
I’m thinking about getting one of these Derale coolers for my 2500 to lower temps when I’m towing. So, it sounds like you kept the factory cooler integrated into the system and tapped into the factory return line and ran that line into the inlet side of your Derale, and the just ran back to your factory return into the trans?

#35 ·
He hasn't been on in almost 5 years, but yes I think you got the right idea on how to do it.

#37 ·
I see that. Good to have you join us.
Lots of good info here, just watch for the dates so you are aware.
If you hover over an avatar you can see the last time someone logged on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.