Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ram 3500 Limited 4X4 CCLB
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulling the trigger on a '14 3500 CC 4X4. It was a custom order that the buyer backed out of... It's configured nicely but it has a bank of Aux switches rather than the heated seat/steering wheel switches (have to turn that stuff on from the 8.4 touch screen)... other than that the truck is about exactly what I wanted...

Can these Aux switches be removed and replaced with the heated/cooled sets switch bank?

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
No they can't be removed, nor could they be added later. The Aux switches control outputs that you connect to under your hood. It's a completely reconfigured body control module that they work with from what I've been able to read/identify on the schematics.

·
Registered
86 Posts
like Rich said - these aux switches control a power bank located in the engine compartment. each circuit is (I believe) a 20a circuit, for controlling power to things such as lights, winches, air compressors and the like.

IMO, it's a very nice $150 option to have. you can push twice on the touch-screen to manage the heated seats etc instead of pushing a button - but the convenience you get of having the power available if you want it, instead of having to run wires, drill holes, and mount switches in the cab - is a lot more valuable.

again, it's just personal preference - but to me it's better to have the capability for the power if you need it down the road (who doesn't hook ANYTHING up in their truck...) than have to refit and try to add power and switch controls which aren't near as integrated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I wish I had aux switches. You have to choose between the 9 speaker alpine or aux switches

·
Registered
234 Posts
I ordered the aux switches. I have been wondering about the other switches and where they would go. It would be nice to have the option to put the aux switches in the 8.4... I guess that would be asking too much lol

·
Registered
770 Posts
Could you use the aux switches to run an air horn? (Practical?)

·
Registered
2021 Ram 3500 Limited 4X4 CCLB
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI, This has the Aux switches, the 8.4AN and the Alpine audio system (even though the window sticker nor the Ram web site lists the 9 speaker system as Alpine for 2014).

Looked at it last night, picking her up this AM :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Double posted please ignore this

·
Registered
86 Posts
suban is slightly incorrect - you don't have to choose between aux (or upfitter switches) and the alpine 9-speaker stereo - you can get both. The only thing adding the aux switches does is replaces the second (bottom) bank of switches on the console - which in trim with equipped are the push buttons for heated / aired seats, and heated steering wheel.

the features can still be accessed through the 8.4 interface in the climate section, there just isn't a quick-button.

other than the loss of the second row of switches, adding upfitter outputs doesn't block you from any other feature

as a side-note, if you add the cargo bed camera - it WILL block you from adding the 'convenience group' (which is auto high-beams and auto-wipers). Something to do with the mirror being changed out for one with a display in it, unsure.

but adding aux switches doesn't remove any other feature capability.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got them on my truck and there was a clear bag full of wiring harnesses in the pass door pocket for them. I'm gonna add LED bed lights like my chevy had and control them with one of the switches. Also looking at a winch and an aux light bar that will both be controlled as well independently. We'll see how it goes...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I've got them on my truck and there was a clear bag full of wiring harnesses in the pass door pocket for them. I'm gonna add LED bed lights like my chevy had and control them with one of the switches. Also looking at a winch and an aux light bar that will both be controlled as well independently. We'll see how it goes...
What model did you get the connectors with? My '14 didn't come with them and, even though the rambodybuilder web site says they're supposed to come with non-CC models, two dealers have told me that's not correct. If you got them with an non-CC model, would you mind giving me the part numbers on the bag, if any? Maybe it's different from the one that comes with CC's...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Could you use the aux switches to run an air horn? (Practical?)
Running my shocker 240 horn kit on aux switch 1. Put a push button horn button on the side of console. Very easy to wire up with aux switches.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Running my shocker 240 horn kit on aux switch 1. Put a push button horn button on the side of console. Very easy to wire up with aux switches.
Just wire it through the stock horn using a relay. That way they will activate when you press you normal horn when you have Aux 1 turned on. And when it is off, you just get the stock horn (a friendly beep).

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just wire it through the stock horn using a relay. That way they will activate when you press you normal horn when you have Aux 1 turned on. And when it is off, you just get the stock horn (a friendly beep).
This is exactly what I was going to ask. Thanks for answering it.

·
Registered
2014 Ram 2500. 2nd gen swap and all the sides
110 Posts
Anyone have pics of where these aux switches are located? I have the 8.4 Nav but all the buttons on the panel below are taken except the outer sides. Hope this makes sense. But pics sure would help me understand where the location is.

Erik

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
136 Posts
not the best picture, within that white rectangle. Note if you have AUX switches you don't have the other ones. All my climate controls, heated seats etc, are controlled via the screen

·
Registered
770 Posts

sounds cool, you got a writeup, or could you lay it out for me? Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 14 also has the aux switches. You just have to use the 8.4an to control the seats. Coming from my 12' I continued to look for the button on the dash for the first week but got used to it. I have my setting set so my heated steering wheel and drivers seat turn on automatically when the truck is started so I don't have to mess with it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
This is exactly what I was going to ask. Thanks for answering it.
BTW, is this difficult to do? Do you have a "How To" or should any mechanic be able to get this done with ease?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts