Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've read thru all the posts, and no one truly answers if this is possible.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I too was looking for an aux input on my 6 disc for my 07. But reading through the manual, I have pretty much come to the conclusion that I will need to swap out my deck in order to get an aux hook up. I would be nice to be able to listen to my IPod while I sit in traffic.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that on the 06 and up you have to have a single disc to get aux. If you can find one that would be your best bet.

I'm also running on the budget of a high schooler lol

Would a 06 and up single disc fit into the pre-06 dashes?

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's really weird to see this post here today. I just added an aux input to my 04 today, and my truck has the rbq (in-dash 6 disc) radio. Mine also has the sirius satellite radio receiver. When I was looking at the aux input adapter you can buy, they were around $100, and I was not willing to pay that. So I went to radioshack and bought a headphone jack, and pulled the radio out today. I cut wires 1, 2 and 6 on the small 10 pin connector that comes from the sat receiver to the head unit and wired the headphone jack into those. Pin 1 is Audio Right, Pin 2 is common ground and Pin 6 is audio left. I drilled a small hole down by the 12v lighter plug and mounted the headphone jack there. I tested it out and with the radio set to sirius it will play normal satellite radio stations through the radio, but then when I plug my computer or phone up to it, it switches to playing pandora or whatever is on my computer. I can do a write-up with pics if enough people are interested.

I am pretty sure this will only work if you have the satellite receiver present, the same as splicing in between the ext cd changer (with the 1 disc in-dash) and head unit for an aux input.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping there was another way besides buying the xm module. Like trade with someone with a single disc with the aux input

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was hoping there was another way besides buying the xm module. Like trade with someone with a single disc with the aux input
I didn't buy an XM module, I just spliced into the wiring between the radio and the factory satellite reciever.The single disc doesn't have an auxiliary input built in either, you are still going to have to buy an adapter, if you aren't able to modify some things. You can use an adapter like this for your current radio Amazon.com: PIE CHRY04-AUX/S Auxiliary Input for 2004-2008 Chrysler Vehicles with Satellite Radio Control: Car Electronics , you don't need to swap radios. There are other ways to add an auxiliary input, but they require opening the radio up.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay the can you do a write up of how you did it? Cause i would like to do what you saying.

Do you have to have a 10 pin connector? Because I do not have one

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Ditto, I'm stoked this can be done. I have an 06' with the 6 disc and listen to the same CD's everyday because I'm lazy and wishing I could use my IPod...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Adding Aux input to RBQ radio (in-dash 6 disc) with satellite radio installed

OK, this is the way to get an aux input for next to nothing if you have satellite radio and an in-dash 6 disc radio. If your radio is satellite capable but does not have the receiver installed then I am currently trying to figure out another way. The way to know if this exact procedure will work for you, is to push the mode button like you are switching between radio and cd, if you see a satellite radio mode, then this method will work for you. If you are a current subscriber, then this method will also let your satellite radio work as normal til you plug an input source into the jack.

Supplies:
All you really need to complete this is some thin wire, 5 strands as long as you need to locate your jack where you would like. You will also need a headphone jack, preferably one like Radio Shack part# 274-0246 so that you can retain your satellite radio functionality. Other than that just some solder and a soldering iron. I spent $3.00 including tax, but I already had plenty of wire and solder.

Procedure:
The first thing I did was check the manual for the wires I needed to splice into. My truck is an 04.5, and I used the manual for an 05 to find the correct wires. When I used the 04 manual, my wire colors did not match up, but when checking the 05 manual, the pin-out was the same for both years, although they had different colored wires. So I would assume that even though some may have different colored wires the location of the wires you need is the same.

To remove the radio from the dash you must first remove the panel below the steering wheel. It has two screws at the very bottom at opposite ends. Once you remove those screws, just pry the panel down and away from the rest of the dash.

With that panel removed you can now carefully pry the radio bezel out by working your way around it with your fingers or a plastic pry tool. To make things simpler, just leave all the wires attached to the bezel and let it rest out of your way. Radio removal is now achieved by removing the 4 screws around the radio and then sliding the radio out.

I didn't bother taking the radio completely out, I only pulled it out far enough, so that I could get the 10 pin connector out of the back of the radio. It is near the center of the radio and is removed by squeezing in on the clip on the bottom of it and then pulling it straight out.

Now with the connector loose from the radio, you can look at the above diagram and tell which 3 wires you need. 1, 2, and 6, All three wires were green, the common ground was solid green, and the left and right audio had a white and red stripe respectively.

To wire this up to retain the use of your satellite radio you are going to need to totally cut wires 1 and 6, but leave yourself enough room to work with. I unwrapped the tape over the wires back to the shielding to give myself more room to work. The number 2 wire just needs some of the covering removed to allow you to solder a piece of wire to it, it doesn't need to be cut.

Using the headphone jack from radio shack you are going to solder a wire to terminal #1 and connect it to wire #2 Common Ground (10 pin connector). Then solder a wire to terminal #2 and connect it to #1 wire (right audio), on the connect side of the wire that you cut. Next solder a wire to terminal #3 on the head phone jack and connect this to the other side of lead #1 (right audio). Terminal #4 on the headphone jack gets a wire soldered onto it and then connected to lead #6 (left audio), on the side of the wire you cut opposite the connecter-side. Terminal #5 will get a wire soldered to it and then connected to the other side (connector side) of lead #6 (audio left) from the 10 pin connector.

I soldered all connections to make sure that I am not having to pull my dash apart all the time to fix connection issues. Once I had all the connections taped up, I plugged the connector back into the radio and tested the function. I worked exactly as I had planned so I proceeded to button everything back up.

I mounted my head phone jack down by the 12v lighter output at the bottom part of the dash , because I didn't want to drill any holes where it would be seen, but you can mount it wherever you want. I will mention that the little panel mount jack is not long enough to reach all the way through the plastic. To remedy this, I drilled a hole big enough for the jack to fit through and then took a drill bill slightly bigger than the little mounting nut on the jack and carefully cut a little inset around the hole for the nut to fit into.

If you are really carefully and clean the edges really good, you can make it look like a factory option. I haven't went back and de-burred the edge of the hole yet, but I think it looks pretty good. After seeing these pictures, I can tell I really need to clean down there

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you really want an auxiliary input, but don't have a satellite radio source that pops up, when you switch through the modes, this is the simplest way to get it,
, the intention of it is for an XM adapter, but it also has an aux input built in.

The only issue with using the method I used in the previous post if you don't have a sat receiver installed is that the radio will not bring up that extra source when switching through modes. I think I know a way to make the radio think it's there and bring up that source, allowing you to use it as an aux input but I need to do some testing and need to find the time to do it. I will try to remember and post back once I have had time to test it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tried this today without luck. I event went through all my connections twice When I click over to sat. My controls won't let me turn up the volume. Only down. I don't pay for it but there's always a free ad on there. It did pick up the signal once but when I switched over to fm and back it was gone.

Any help from someone that has gotten this to work properly would be very helpful. Maybe I missed something simple.

Here's what I have goin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Can you access the preview channel? I did notice that if I switch the sat radio channels while I have the aux input hooked up it will stop the audio for a slight second, like it is changing stations. I made a video of mine working, it is uploading but taking forever.

·
Registered
202 Posts

I had a longer video showing switching back and force from modes and it still working but it was taking an eternity to upload, so I cut it down. There is also a lag between the audio and video, the volume goes up and down instantly with the knob instead of the hesitation like the video suggests.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There's not any audio on the preview channel. Just say call the 800 number with a small 184 in the corner.(channel I guess)

·
Registered
15 Posts
My truck is an 07 so the wires were a different color. Does it look like I tapped the right ones. The 2 was solid green. And the 1 and 6 were striped ones.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My truck is an 07 so the wires were a different color. Does it look like I tapped the right ones. The 2 was solid green. And the 1 and 6 were striped ones.

Sounds like the correct wires, and you said that you did get the signal from your ipod at first but then when you switched to fm and back, it wouldn't pick your input up again?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think I have other issue. I went out to try and reset. Turned radio on and let sit for a bit. Volume control worked then. Hooked up iPod worked as it should.

I cycled key off and back on. Then it wouldn't work. The radio is stuck on 184. It won't let me get to channel 0 to get the Id. Maybe the radio is faulty.

Just frustrating at this point because I know it works. But isn't reliable. Thanks for your help tho. I'll mess with it some more tomorow. Will unhooking the power for a set time do a reset to software?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sounds like you are having some receiver issues. Here is the exact process to get the ESN for the RBQ radio and others:
ESN/SID Access With RBQ, RBP, RAZ, and RBU Radios:
With the ignition switch in the ACCESSORY position and the radio OFF, press the CD Eject and TIME buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. All twelve ESN/SID numbers will be displayed.
The radio will exit the ESN/SID mode when any other button is pushed, the ignition is turned OFF, or 5 minutes has passed since any button was pushed.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts