Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have a 98 12v with an automatic. I pull a 6000 lb horse trailer about once per month. I think my converter is starting to slip because occassionally I get a bad shudder going up hills. I want a Goerend transmission, but need to save my money first. What fluid do you guys recommend as I try to limp her along for another year?

·
Registered
325 Posts
well i had a 97 1500 gasser and the tranny started giving me issues but i found that lucas trans additive would make it shift really for and not slip for about 30k miles but not sure if that will work in your case

·
Registered
576 Posts
do you have a lock-up switch?? that could possibly help out your situation

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know for sure it is the TC. I have trouble even knowing when I have lockup or not. Since we are on this subject, let me ask some more questions. How do you know if you have TC lock up or not? Been a stick guy for towing my whole life but my old knees talked me into buying an auto this time. I saw a thread on here that said we should not use DEX III in these trannys. Anyone else ever hear that?

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
I saw a thread on here that said we should not use DEX III in these trannys. Anyone else ever hear that?
Most of the diesel tranny experts recommend running Dex with the addition of a tube LubeGard black. My stock tranny went 235k on it and was still going strong when I went to a Suncoast.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I like the Lucas idea in this case. Lucas is primarily a viscosity thickener. A little thicker fluid may help you get by for awhile. Buy a decent atf3 ( is this what this trans calls for?) and add some Lucas.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
I don't know for sure it is the TC. I have trouble even knowing when I have lockup or not. Since we are on this subject, let me ask some more questions. How do you know if you have TC lock up or not?
Let out of the throttle and the tah should not drop from the RPM's you were running at.

Been a stick guy for towing my whole life but my old knees talked me into buying an auto this time. I saw a thread on here that said we should not use DEX III in these trannys. Anyone else ever hear that?
I would not switch trans fluid type between builds, friction material absorbs the fluid at initial filling and become seasoned to it.... changes midstream could be beneficial but could also become issues. That is a personal opinion..... Likewise MOPAR ATF3+ or 4+ is the best transfluid in the land, GM and Ford are beginning to use it. Think about this, OEM's want to save money and most importantly Warranty expense. They do not scimp on fluids....:thumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts