Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Automatic Tranny upgrades?

973 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Meierznutz 
#1 ·
Is there a way to beef up the autos in the dodge trucks? without spending alot of $$?

#2 ·
depends on what you want to do with the truck and how much Hp you wanna add, but a nice valve body from gorend or suncoast will do and one more thing i would do would be a torque converter, that should hold you for a while. just no boosted launches otherwise your gonna need billet input shaft. but more knowledgeable guys on trans will chime in soon :thumbsup

#3 ·
depends on what you want to do with the truck and how much Hp you wanna add, but a nice valve body from gorend or suncoast will do and one more thing i would do would be a torque converter, that should hold you for a while. just no boosted launches otherwise your gonna need billet input shaft. but more knowledgeable guys on trans will chime in soon :thumbsup

oo and btw :welcome:

#5 ·
well i do alot of heavy hauling. i'm a contractor and i'm pulling a trailer alot usually with my skidsteer on it. but pretty much i wanted to know what i need to do if I decide to put some power behind this rig. I have heard alot of bad about dodge's auto transmissions, and I don't want to end up replacing it.

I am wanting to put in an Edge juice and maybe some other mods (just depends on what i can afford to spend at the time). But eventually i want to build it to be a bad mother.

#9 ·
With what you are using the truck for, if you do anything to the engine you will need to upgrade the trans. At least a billit TC. The issue is that the Autos were de-tuned by a rated 10hp from the factory because the trans couldn't keep up. The TC bolts will litterally be ripped from the housing if you push it hard. These engines are so strong it's not funny.
Since the trans has to come out for the TC, you might as well have the internals freshened up. If you are going to go big, do billit shafts, if you are just adding a mild chip or flash you might be able to get away with the stock shafts. I look at it this way... its expensive to rebuild a trans once, it's stupid money to have to do it twice because of scrimping on it the first time. Good luck.. Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.