Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K guys heres a rundown of the truck and situation. I bought the truck used with 248k on it was told the transmission had been rebuilt which i figured was accurate with the miles. the fuel plate must be adjusted because it was pushing 32lbs boost WOT well i noticed in first and second the tc slips under power and that under power it dosnt want to shift when it should. even under light power it dosnt shift when its supposed to in the other gears. also i might add that the fourwheel drive dosnt engage and sometimes the heater dosnt properly change or gets stuck between settings preventing air from flowing so im guessing a vac problem. could a vac leak somewhere cause my shifting problems. im moving to alaska in two months and wont have a ton of money to put in this transmission till after i get there so i was planning on draining transmission adjusting bands and filling with fresh fluid to see how that does. any input is appreciated dont know much bout these transmissions whether they are electronically controlled or vac or what.:confused013:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Vac has nothing to do with the tranny. Check the throttle/kick down cable adjustment as it will affect shift points. TC slipping under power means it is on it's way out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
adjusting the bands and fresh fluid should be enough for the tc to get me there. but it almost feels like the tc is hooking up its just the tranny reaches the end of power and dosnt shift. wheres the kickdown cable never heard of that. so basically on this tranny its all hydraulic and mechanical no electronic control?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Look at the shift lever on your transmission. There is also a short lever there that moved by a cable. That is the throttle valve (TV) lever. The wire to it is from the throttle linkage near the front of the injection pump. That cable is the TV cable, AKA kick down cable. OD and TC lockup are electrical and activated by solenoids on the VB.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i would be careful trying to drive 2,800 thousand. your going to build up a lot of heat driving that long and far ecpecially towing your boat

it may be all it takes to put your tranny in the ground, it would suck to have her give up on the way there

however i would not flush it that could flush out the last of your seals. drain a quart out (transmission coolerlines is the best place to drain just a quart out) and replace with LUCAS transmission fix it will not harm your seals like other brands and worked wonders on my dodge automatic

hope this helps

·
Registered
30 Posts
adjusting the bands and fresh fluid should be enough for the tc to get me there. but it almost feels like the tc is hooking up its just the tranny reaches the end of power and dosnt shift. wheres the kickdown cable never heard of that. so basically on this tranny its all hydraulic and mechanical no electronic control?
Gears 1,2 and 3 are totally hydraulic. The 3-4 shift and lockup need the PCM signal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts