Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im really considering which one to look into. I like the fact that the auto is easy just per her in gear and go. Auto will always beat stick when shifting gears. But stick is easier to put hp to and can last longer. For everyday driving around and hot rodding on the street, lets hear from both sides and why u guys like your setup. :stirpot:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have owned both, I absolutely loved my 5 spd. You would be amazed how fast the stick would get going once you hit 3rd gear, it catches up very quickly to an auto. I just traded my brother my 5spd for a lightly built auto, I loved the 5 spd, got better mileage, and I was less worried about it failing. The Auto is easier to just get in and go but may as well immediately plan on upgrading/building if you're going to put any power to the auto. Throw a clutch in the stick and no more worrys! Personally I would go stick, it just wasn't practical for me anymore or else I would have kept it. Either way can't lose with a cummins:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
For everyday driving the choice would be a built auto. The manuals are truck transmissions they are not designed for speed shifting, especially with a DD Clutch. With a single disc it might do OK, but a truck manual will never shift as fast as a well belt auto.
I love my NV4500, because the primary reason I bought my truck is to pull my 5th wheel and it is a daily driver. I find towing with a manual much more controlled with a stick than an auto. I don't have an issue with the daily driver part, 17 traffic lights in a just over 5 mile commute.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just finished my auto to 5 speed swap today and my truck feels alot more powerful now. Now I just need to get used to shifting gears because I suck at it so far. I've never driven a diesel stick before and I gotta say the gears are very far apart but I think I will get the hang of it and like it more than my auto, which I destroyed with my adrenaline.

·
Registered
176 Posts
NV5600 for life!!! ......or if something catastrophic happens, it'll be G56 for life!!!
I just can't drive an auto, I gotta feel like I'm really driving my truck. Auto just doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, thanks for all of the great input doods. it helps me see both sides of the story.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm a truck driver, so a stick is a natural choice for me. 18 speed 5 days a week, and a 6 speed the other 2. No complaints here.

I've driven sone friends autos before, and I never liked the feeling of them behind a diesel. I like the more direct power of a stick. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I fully agree with denham, the stick feels much more solid to me and seems to handle the power alot better. I have driven full built autos but it still scares me everytime you jump on it. Best thing would be to drive both, and decide which one suits you better!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I love the 6-speed. Its quite a lot of shifting in city-driving, but I have never owned a car with auto.. Generally a diesel with auto sounds so wrong.. To much RPM and stressful sound. With the stick you can choose wich gear to run no matter what..

A bit off-topic, but I have a part-time job to drive a recoverytruck. The largest one is a Scania 480 8X4 Tandem with Auto (opticruise) and I hate it :p

·
Registered
879 Posts
Well, I'm going against the grain. Absolutely love the auto's. Sticks are nice, but they're slow to shift, and it's a real pain in town or in a traffic jam. I'll take my auto *every* day, over any stick in the truck. Save the stick for the sports car... The truck, I love being able to get into, and just let it do the work, and sit back and ride. Built auto's are *really* nice, but I've only driven others, and don't have one of those...yet...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wth the manual I can pop start my truck when the starter goes out which is great. Driving an auto just feels crappy. Mashin the brakes is beat when your stoppin. I got no problem shiftin fast with my valair dd as well. For me it's like riding a bike just get in and go don't have to think About shifting

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'll tell you what to do...., buy a stick. Decide you don't like all the shifting and then trade me for my auto. I'm a nice guy I'll do a dead even swap you can have all the auto stiff and I'll take all the manual stuff. Won't even charge you. :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
Auto only man. If you know how to handle power and capibilities of auto it does it all. A few weeks ago, got caught in traffic jam and nearly went mad moving a few feet and stopping with my Rampage and manual tranny. It would have been 3 times worse with the diesel and 10,000 pounds aboard. Auto would not have sweat.
And overhaus of manual and clutch is just as expensive as auto and still have to shift the darn gears ever time you change speed. JMHO of cours.

Reactions: MHPDBrewster
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.