Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

AUTO vs Manual

1254 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Gixxer_750
Which one is faster/better for drag racing??? Ive always heard that autos are in diesels. WHY??? :confused013: just wondering cauz I was talking to a buddy of mine and he asked me and I said I thought autos were but I didnt really know why
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
1,096 Posts
cuz autos have the ability to do higher boosted launches, shift faster, and dont loose as much boost between shifts.

but i still luv my nv4500.... i luv slamming and jammin gears!!!

· Registered
959 Posts
Ya thats the story behind why they are suppose to be faster, but IMO if you have a good clutch which isnt near the money a built tranny is and if someone can realy drive the pi** out of a good manual than you have a good chance and less stuff to break and can be just as fast, if you can operate 3 pedals than you can do a good boosted launch also

· Registered
104 Posts
A stick can run just about as fast as a auto but it takes a driver and a good trans mission and defenitly a good clutch The thing about racing a stick is when you run fast you made it run fast, you didnt just press on the pedal and hang on!!

· Registered
9,910 Posts
The only real problem i have come across is the launch...

With an auto its as easy as 2 footin it and building some boost, with a manual its a little more tricky and a good way to smoke up an expensive clutch and flywheel.

Other than that, once your rolling its pretty much a tossup between the 2. Depending on the setup a manual would launch in 3rd, maybe 4th so 1 or 2 shifts isnt going to hurt alot as long as the driver and trans are good.

· Future Fly Boy!
2,228 Posts
a good driver in an auto will always beat a good driver with stick...those little blips in the shifting add up...you can def. run very fast w/ a stick shaker but an auto will always be faster given same conditions...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.