Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive an 2004 with 76000 miles on it. I just had a transmission service, included a new filter, gasket and flush with Mobile 1 synthetic.

As I take off normally, I feel a little delay (2 seconds) when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd.

Is it possible that the transmssion service caused this?

Domenic

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Testing Signature.............

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
fluid level up?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
deffinately check the fluid level, my dealership told me they check adjustments during service, if needed they adjust bands? im thinking its a tighten and back off adjustment, how else can they tell without doing it? maybe they goofrd up yours, id talk to them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your responses...............

I have a question for all you transmission guys, I decided to check the transmission fluid level, I started the truck and checked the level while it was cold, it is way over filled.

I took it back to the lube shop who just did the transmission service and they asked me to put in Neutral with the engine running and the level is fine. Is that a normal practice to check the transmission fluid in neutral? With it being over filled, would this case the problems I am having?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Thanks for all your responses...............

I have a question for all you transmission guys, I decided to check the transmission fluid level, I started the truck and checked the level while it was cold, it is way over filled.

I took it back to the lube shop who just did the transmission service and they asked me to put in Neutral with the engine running and the level is fine. Is that a normal practice to check the transmission fluid in neutral? With it being over filled, would this case the problems I am having?
you always check an auto tranny running and in neutral, can't remember why but i think it gets all the fluid running thru the system so it doesn't look overfilled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check your dip stick for the transmisson and it will tell how to check itself either netural or park truck has to be running and transmission at operating tempature

·
Premium Member
15,499 Posts
I drive an 2004 with 76000 miles on it. I just had a transmission service, included a new filter, gasket and flush with Mobile 1 synthetic.

As I take off normally, I feel a little delay (2 seconds) when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd.

Is it possible that the transmssion service caused this?

Domenic
Yes, it is possible the flush caused the problem. The governor solenoid is a touchy critter on these transmissions and any garbage that may have been knocked loose with the flushing will plug its screen and cause erratic shifting. Replace the gov solenoid and transducer, check band adjustment and go from there.

Flushing is an iffy thing unless it is done correctly, and even then you may end up with issues.

All Dodge transmissions up to 07.5, not sure about the AISIN and 68RFE, were checked in neutral, trans hot, engine idling to get the correct fill. Reason being, the transmission does not circulate fluid in park and will show over full if checked like that. If it is only filled to the full level in park it won't move. It needs to be full on the dip stick with the fluid circulating thru the TC and cooler to have enough to operate correctly.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Speaking of flushes I just read a Chrysler ad that offered a trans flush but they recycle your old fluid. The transmission ad states to "Recycle fluid, replenish additives" so be very careful if you decide to let someone flush your transmission. Also make sure they replace the fluid and replace the filter with a new one or your just asking for trouble later on down the road.

·
Go for Broke
6,699 Posts
you always check an auto tranny running and in neutral, can't remember why but i think it gets all the fluid running thru the system so it doesn't look overfilled.
because the pump runs in "N" :thumbsup

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wrong ATF. Needs to be ATF+4 or the Amsoil version.

Pete

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
xploretx,

Good catch, I see that many of us missed him saying he was using Mobil One ATF.

Domenic,

If you did use Mobil One ATF the get that fluid Flushed out ASAP and replaced with ATF+4 trans fluids from either Mopar, Valvoline or Amsoil. Mobil One ATF fluid was not made to be used in your transmission and I'm not sure how long it will hold up before bad things start to happen. It may be why your having shift delay after having your trans serviced.

·
Premium Member
15,499 Posts
If you did use Mobil One ATF the get that fluid Flushed out ASAP and replaced with ATF+4 trans fluids from either Mopar, Valvoline or Amsoil. Mobil One ATF fluid was not made to be used in your transmission and I'm not sure how long it will hold up before bad things start to happen.
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:wow::wow: You guys had me worried !!!!

This shifting problem seems to be on and off. Everytime I take it to the Lube Shop it never happens, the guys probaly thinks I am fishing for a new transmission.

Anyway, I 'll keep you updated. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
A few things bothers me is on this Mobil web page: Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF only in one pace does it list Dodge and this is what it states: "Recommended by ExxonMobil for Chrysler automatic transmission" yet no where else on that web site does it even list or state that is meets or exceeds Dodge 7176, ATF+3, ATF+4 ATF fluid Specifications. Also this part makes me worry: Recommended for use in any power steering unit where a Dexron or Mercon fluid is recommended. Yet ATF+4 is approved to be used in Dodge power steering units that call for ATF+4 fluid to be used and this ATF does not look like its approved to be used in a Dodge power steering unit so I'm not sure I would want use it in my Dodge transmission based on what I've read.

JMHO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts