Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my 96 ram looks to have a similar transmission heater/cooler thing on the side of the block to whats on my 92.

juse wondering if anyone has eliminated this contraption? im having some issues with engine coolant temp when towing,and am afraid that the tranny is making the coolant hot,or vice versa.

gauges are on the way,so i dont know for certain EGT or tranny temp,only that the trans temp light has not come on.

thanks for any info :)

edit: i have replaced the fan clutch,and removed the radiator and cleaned all the fins to try and eliminate this cooling prollem.

·
MI Chapter President
5,687 Posts
I removed mine to make room for the twins but I also put a aftermarket cooler under the bed as well

Ian

·
Registered
570 Posts
Mines MIA also for twins. The whole idea is to keep the temp at a good constant temp. I preffer cooler though. Ebay has the enlarged coolers for sale and they plumb in real easy.

·
AlGores worst nightmare
2,006 Posts
It's actually a heat exchanger. It helps bring a cold trans temp up to where the trans temp sender will allow it to shift into O/D, and then help keep the temp constant.
I seriously doubt that it's causing your overheating problem.
Have you replaced the thermostat, with the high quality Cummins one? P/N 3934373

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont really think so its causing the prollem,either,but ya never know,and on the other hand the coolant now may be making the trany hotter than it wants to be.

ive never been a fan of "coolant-cooled" oil or tranny coolers,and have disconnected them in place of a good aftermarket cooler on everything else ive ever had.

changing the thermostat was my next planned attempt to fix,but ive not located anywhere to get cummins parts around here,yet.

any hints on where to get one on line? or somewhere in the dayton,ohio area to grab one locally?

many thanks for providing the part number ill defiantely grab one and change it :beer

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Mark Ward
837 Posts
i took mine off and just replaced it with a aftermarket cooler. I wouldnt think it was causing the problems. Id change the thermostate and then try the water pump. been there.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
the problem with eliminating the oil-coolant heat exchanger is that your trans will take a while longer to warm up, which isnt so good for longevity. Operating a trans cold is almost as bad as overheating it!

Instead of eliminating the exchanger all together it should be run through an aftermarket radiator type, then plumbed in to hit the heat exchanger before it goes back to the tranny. That will allow the aftermarket unit to remove any excessive heat while the heat exchanger can still do its original purpose, heat the trans faster and keep temps stable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
cumminspride,many thanks for the info on the dealers :woot:

been there.
what type of running hot issue were you having? and what finally fixed it for ya?

i only have prollems with the trailer hooked up. if i try to maintain speed up the grades it will creep right up to 230. if i keep a very light throttle and let it slow down to 50-55 then the temp hovers right near the edge of the safe zone. since the truck is fine with no load,i hadnt really thot the thermostat or waterpump would be a prollem,but those are the next steps,and after that maybe a new radiator.

friend of mine has a 98.5(24v) with a 5 speed and his temp doesnt get over 190,no matter how much throttle he gives it pulling similar sized loads(roughly 6k lbs).

i got this truck to haul 2 rigs on a 36 foot GN(prolly close to 14k lbs) so i definately need to get this figured out!

thanks again everyone for your input :beer

·
Mark Ward
837 Posts
I had a truck that would run hot when you had a trailer on it. I changed the thermostat and the water pump since they arent that expensive and are extremly easy to change. Also, took out the radiator and washed it. It stoped getn warm on me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I removed mine and have had no problems. My guage reads the same temps as always and the warm up time is the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts