Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been tossing around the idea of upgrading to a new 2014 to get out of the auto and into a manual. Just can't see spending all that money to get a 6spd and emissions. A new one would be nice but my 5.9 runs so well and I have only 39,000 on it. So I would love to be able to find a low mileage 5.9 6spd but they are hard to come by and if you find one they are expensive. So that leaves me with doing a auto to 5 or 6 spd swap. Did one on my 97 12 valve before. A lot of work but I did it. So, does anyone in the Pittsburgh Pa area want to swap an auto for a manual ? Thanks Pete

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
Trade vehicles. don't ruin a valuable piece of equipment.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would also do the swap. I am in the middle of a the nv4500 swap in the truck in my sig.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
see my add in the classifieds....could meet simce we are pretty close. I really don't want a stock auto but would trade and some cash...look at my g56 conversion kit in the classifieds...its at the top of page and has valair clutch and custom hurst shifter

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I would also do the swap iif I was in your situation. You have a low mileage truck, I'm assuming its in nice condition ; you didn't say, and you know your truck. Plus in assuming its paid for and then you would have payments with a new truck which could be used to buy your transfer and some upgrades if wanted. Just take your time and make it right. No hacking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll be doing this swap as well in the next few months. After researching and researching it apears do be a straight forward swap. He already has efi Live so he's covered there and has already done it on a previous swap. I say go for it!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had very specific requirements for my truck.
5.9, 2007.5 or below. No junk on the exhaust
standard cab long bed
manual trans
no carpet
no electric windows
etc

I looked on-line at well over 1000 advertised trucks. I looked for months before finding the truck I needed 1400 miles from home.

What I did find was that there are a reasonable number of 5.9 2005-2007.5 manual trans extended cab long bed trucks out there with 10 - 15 thousand miles on them. I found 1 with only 8000 miles. If you want an automatic there are ever more.

I had to ask myself why? One of them was owned by a person who bought horse property, they got a new truck and trailer, bought the horses, then found they really didn't like caring for horses and didn't like driving a truck, hated the manual trans, they parked it in the garage then a few years later put it up for sale or traded it in.

The prices were up around 35000, but, I think it's a much better deal then the 2014 trucks which are overload with FED required C R A P.

For those willing to expend the time and widen their search they can score a good deal.

The truck I bought only had a few people look at it. 2006, 119000 miles, 21,000 dollars. All that looked at it walked away because of one issue, it didn't have electric windows.

So, don't do a trans swap, sell your truck and take your time shoping for the replacement.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I found an 03 5 speed which means it is the 250/460 engine. 104,000 miles and priced at 21,000. Not sure which way I am going to decide. All the info and opinions are great. Much appreciated. Pete

·
Registered
95 Posts
just do the swap you get to keep your truck

you know all the history

dont have to have the hassle and wait of finding another truck

you will never have a problem selling your truck later on (get more money for it to i bet in the long run)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a tough decision cause finding a truck that fits the bill will probably still cost me a couple thousand and converting to a manual will cost the same. A couple thousand. Decisions decisions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts