Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the market for a deisel and im not sure if i want an auto or manual tranny cause ive heard diff stories bout the autos and i just want eveyones opinon on them. im looking at the 00 to 02 2nd gens. any info will really help. cauce i dont wanna go and buy an auto if the tranny is gonna fall apart. plus idk what mpg the autos are getting. i would like to get around 20 mpg out of one. look forward to seeing what everyone has to say

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
if you get an auto, get an extra 5k to get yourself a nice built auto so you dont have to worry about it because once you put a chip on it, your tranny will be toast if you dont baby it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so thats what it would cost to get a tranny built 5000? what are some good name brand trannys? im new to buying a deisel so im not sure that y im askin

·
Registered
142 Posts
i have an 02 5 speed and i get around 23 with mixed city and highway driving................go with a stick..........that way you can rub on your lady while shifting gears............. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
if you get an auto, get an extra 5k to get yourself a nice built auto so you dont have to worry about it because once you put a chip on it, your tranny will be toast if you dont baby it
exactly.......

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Or save 4 grand to rebuild the 6 speed if you go that route. My 6er s got 220k on it and still fine, but they re both expensive. Cheapest trans would be the NV 4500 5 speed. JMO

·
Registered
833 Posts
I don't fully believe that. I have 172k on stocker and 435Hp/905Tq and I dont baby it. I cruise 5x5 all the time, numorous launches and few dyno runs. Suprisingly it does still hold up, but its still getting rebuilt soon as get the funds.

But I do bet the worn out TC and plates are contributing to my 16-17mpg.

·
Registered
275 Posts
lol i had my auto for about a year but pullin a loaded car trailer put the screws to my tc. im now the proud owner of and auto to manual converstion. go with the manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts