Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys. I need a little help. I am unloading my 03 Duramax to a local dealer that will pay me what I owe on the thing and I'm upside down. I then will be looking for an 03-06 QCLB.

My question is this: which trans is the better option for my application?

I have always wanted the 6 speed, but finding one in good shape with decent miles in my price range is proving futile. I can find the automatics all day long. I'm starting to think about going to an automatic if I find the truck that is "the one" otherwise.

The truck will primarily be my daily driver. I will use it to stack hay in the bed as well as pull hay wagons with it. Will also tow a horse trailer MAYBE 3 times a month weighing about 8-10k. I also have a 30ft travel trailer that I would tow once in a blue moon.

What do you guys think. Would the auto actually be a better fit or at least a decent option since I won't be loaded heavy really ever? Or should I stick to my guns and wait for a manual?

·
Registered
636 Posts
i was waiting for over a year for the right 6speed laramie truck. i finally gave in to a automatic laramie truck. Now that i had the truck built, i love it. But the stock trans are just down right junk for towing. If you get an auto get it built and be happy.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
you will be spending a lot more for a auto build then you ever will for a clutch. The dodge auto's are a joke. Had 7 trucks and one was an auto and i will buy a ford 6.0 before another auto.

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
If your planning on doing any towing around 10,000 multiple times a month I would say Manual no questions asked, unless you have an extra 4-6,000 laying around to drop on a built auto...just my .02

·
Registered
181 Posts
sptbkfn01 where are you from? the reason i ask is finding a good used truck is not hard in Texas.
here's a 06 with 77K with a 6 speed
Used Inventory for Benny Boyd Motor Co. in Lampasas TX 75660 that includes used cars trucks and suv

Joe
I agree. There were no decent 6sp. trucks around here in my price range when I bought mine 2 yrs. ago. ( eastern PA ). Thats why I gave in and had mine shipped from Texas. Its a huge gamble doin it the way I did but it turned out great. If you want to shift then get what you want. IMHO

·
ACDC Chapter President aka VACAY!
7,844 Posts
Mines for sale! I want an auto myself

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. I really do want a manual, but I need to get rid of the truck because the injectors are on their way out yet again. I can't wait too long because I actually use my truck as a truck unlike most people around my neck of the woods. I live in PA, but am willing to travel pretty far for a nice truck.

The problems that I am finding are that either they're too expensive (looking to stay around $22K or less), 2wd, or a dually. I would love a dually, but for a daily driver, it would be a bit excessive and I don't want that extra set of tires to have to replace. I also worry about their performance in snow.

I've been checking out the trucks around Texas, just haven't found the right one yet. I would love to be able to stay with leather (my truck has it and has me spoiled). Problem is that if I find a truck in my price range, there are either goonies all over the truck, their autos, or the interior is tore all to hell and back.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Well you might be able to get a dually, then find someone who wants to do a srw to drw swap with you...:confused013: there's lots of guys out there who want to do it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I am half tempted to sell my 6 speed with 115k miles on it. I want a truck but I want to go fast too. 6 speed is just too slow for me now. It is still fun as hell. I would agree a $1K clutch is better than a built trans cost.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Yes. I really do want a manual, but I need to get rid of the truck because the injectors are on their way out yet again. I can't wait too long because I actually use my truck as a truck unlike most people around my neck of the woods. I live in PA, but am willing to travel pretty far for a nice truck.

The problems that I am finding are that either they're too expensive (looking to stay around $22K or less), 2wd, or a dually. I would love a dually, but for a daily driver, it would be a bit excessive and I don't want that extra set of tires to have to replace. I also worry about their performance in snow.

I've been checking out the trucks around Texas, just haven't found the right one yet. I would love to be able to stay with leather (my truck has it and has me spoiled). Problem is that if I find a truck in my price range, there are either goonies all over the truck, their autos, or the interior is tore all to hell and back.
I dont know where in pa you are but I bought a truck from these guys and they are about an hour north of scranton, pa they usually have some decent trucks in stock. check out there website
View Cross Country Enterprises Inventory and Specials - Hop Bottom Car Dealer

If that link doesnt work type in google cross country enterprises. I hope this is a help!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have always found that if you really want something you should hold out for it or you will never be happy. Hold out for the 6 spd you want...there out there!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hold out, find what you really want. I live in northern WI and I found my 06 in Seattle, Wa on a little used car lot on the internet. I bought it last year with 25K miles and unmolested. Carfaxed it talked to the previous owner then took a plane ride and drove it home. I paid 30k for it, I would have paid 35K. 6 speeds are hard to find but, man are they worth it!

·
ACDC Chapter President aka VACAY!
7,844 Posts
I still would prefer an auto right now. This south bend is a killer when u already have a bad knee. I still love the truck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hold out, find what you really want. I live in northern WI and I found my 06 in Seattle, Wa on a little used car lot on the internet. I bought it last year with 25K miles and unmolested. Carfaxed it talked to the previous owner then took a plane ride and drove it home. I paid 30k for it, I would have paid 35K. 6 speeds are hard to find but, man are they worth it!
:agree2:

I live in Colorado and had been looking for a long time to find a clean 6 speed. I was finally able to find an unmolested 2005 with the NV5600 in it with only 29k on it in Roswell, NM. Took a drive down on a Saturday and drove it back home. The 6 speeds are so worth it to wait and find what you want.

·
Suffers from Black Lung
1,250 Posts
I still would prefer an auto right now. This south bend is a killer when u already have a bad knee. I still love the truck.
24v-Mason

Where in AZ are you at? I have a dodge mega with a 48re with a shift kit. I would love to swap out to a G56. Just a thought if you didn't want to sell your truck.

Chris

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
If you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic you may not like the six speed all that much. I've noticed that those who are set on a manual but get an auto are never happy with and auto trans. My self I have the auto and am very happy with it, even more so when I visit the Twin Cities and its traffic.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
Man the traffic thing is the biggest cop out i have ever heard about not driving a manual. If you know what your doing its not a problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lots of 6 speeds up here in Colorado, around the Greeley/ Fort Lupton area. Hold out for something decent.

I LOVE my 6 speed. Yes, you need two working knees/legs to drive it. I don't use my truck for racing everyone, so the 6 speed fills my needs with hay hauling, stock trailer towing, general traveling. An automatic is great if you like not having to think about shifting, or just want to mash it and go. Each his own.

I have an ST trim. Looks like a standard white 4 door dually flatbed work truck. No overhead console, no power doors or windows. Nice and simple. Now it has a "deer strainer" bumper from Mexico. Looks just like a Ranch Hand only about $600 cheaper.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Man the traffic thing is the biggest cop out i have ever heard about not driving a manual. If you know what your doing its not a problem.
I have personally spent hours stuck in LA, Seattle, Portland, Atlanta and a few of the other big cities traffic jams and know first hand its not fun to move 10 feet then stop move 50 more stop and repeat for several hours with a manual transmission.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts