Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Ram with the NV5600 4X4. There are times that there is a strong ATF smell, either in the cab or right of outside of it. I do not have any fluid on the driveway and I have checked the transfer case and front diff. Both seem to have an appropriate amount of fluid in them. I checked the power steering and it also seems to be full. Is there vent on something that would allow vapors to escape? Should I just chalk this up to the notion that these old trucks just naturally smell?

Thanks,

Marshall

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Be worth checking the nv56 has the correct fluid in it. Ive seen ATF in manuals before when called for gear oil.

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
It calls for a special oil that is hard to find nowadays but is closer to ATF than gear oil. ATF is also in the transfer case. Lots of manuals use atf nowadays. Check the boot on top of the trani.

Reactions: Marshall44

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and recommendations. I do plan on changing out the fluid in the transmission with some Amsoil I have. I know I need to change out the rear diff. I've noticed a one wheel peel in the dirt and the build sheet shows a limited slip. I am thinking of putting Royal Purple in the diffs.

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Because of the one wheel traction, i believe your diff LS clutches are worn out and slipping all the time instead of locked all the time and slipping on turns. Pull the cover and look for metal and debris in the bottom well. if you find much metal rebuild LS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts