Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there been adding any of these to your fuel? Used it in the old diesels for the injectors. Have a new 08 6.7 and with all the new environmental help dont know if this will affect anything with the motor.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
atf is not designed to be used in the CR motors very bad for injectors. most people use power service or 2-cycle oil.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
Don't use either one!

MMO will cause injector damage by increasing the HFRR beyond safe limits... Anything over 520 HFRR can cause fuel system damage! :thud:

And ATF will cause DPF damage. Not to mention if you get dipped it will look like RED DYE diesel. You could be fine $500 to $1,000 dollar for every gallon of fuel... You CANNOT use any oil based product in a DPF vehicle or the DPF will get clogged up...

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
For 5.9 engines, do not add ATF to your fuel. While older ATF fluids were just light hydraulic oils, modern ATF+4 is full of friction modifiers that can cause injector pump and injector problems. Also, ATF has a flash point that is much too high to ensure a complete burn which can cause to injector clogging and poor spray pattern.

If you wanted to run something for ultimate lubricity, a good diesel fuel additive or even a 2 stroke oil (engineered to burn clean) would be something to consider.

That all said, for a 6.7 truck with a DPF, I would not run anything but straight ULSD and perhaps a diesel fuel additive that is compatble with ULSD. Running ATF, 2 stroke, or other additives that are only compatible with LSD fuels can cause major issues with your DPF. The 6.7 is made to run on ULSD. Adding other additives will clog the DPF and regen won't remedy the situation over time.

-Chuck

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
Anybody out there been adding any of these to your fuel? Used it in the old diesels for the injectors. Have a new 08 6.7 and with all the new environmental help dont know if this will affect anything with the motor.
i would not use anything on the 6.7. if it was a 5.9 and having to run ULSD i would just use the cheapest motor oil from wal mart. quart to 30 gallons of diesel

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
unless you are planning to fog a motor don't put those where they don't belong.

·
DIESEL FREAK
152 Posts
dont put any thing than diesel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Platinum Plus DFX fuel borne catalyst

First time diesel owner, and not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I was looking for help with fuel economy and performance without any warranty issues, so I decided to try Platinum Plus DFX, want to see if I can get the benefit as claimed by the manufacturer. It’s made by CDTI and they have a distribution agreement with Fleetguard. I contacted Cummins about warranty issues, their reply was “it will not void your warranty”, I got this in writing. I think the lower regeneration temperatures are a good thing, but what do I know. Anyone tried this product?

This is off CDTI’s website.
Platinum Plus DFX
3 - 8% fuel economy improvement on all engines, old and new.
10 - 20% particulate reduction alone, 30 - 50% when combined with an oxidizer.
HC and CO reduction of 10 - 30% alone; 50% when combined with an oxidizer.
Up to 95% particulate reduction when combined with a filter.
Lowers filter regeneration temperature to 300 - 350°C.

·
Registered
586 Posts
First time diesel owner, and not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I was looking for help with fuel economy and performance without any warranty issues, so I decided to try Platinum Plus DFX, want to see if I can get the benefit as claimed by the manufacturer. It’s made by CDTI and they have a distribution agreement with Fleetguard. I contacted Cummins about warranty issues, their reply was “it will not void your warranty”, I got this in writing. I think the lower regeneration temperatures are a good thing, but what do I know. Anyone tried this product?

This is off CDTI’s website.
Platinum Plus DFX
3 - 8% fuel economy improvement on all engines, old and new.
10 - 20% particulate reduction alone, 30 - 50% when combined with an oxidizer.
HC and CO reduction of 10 - 30% alone; 50% when combined with an oxidizer.
Up to 95% particulate reduction when combined with a filter.
Lowers filter regeneration temperature to 300 - 350°C.
Cummins didn't sell you the truck, Dodge did. They are the ones you have to go after about warranty concerns. :popcorn:

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I read somewhere that Cummins has their own additive for the ULSD trucks and it is supposed to be great stuff. I haven't tried it though...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read somewhere that Cummins has their own additive for the ULSD trucks and it is supposed to be great stuff. I haven't tried it though...
Cummins owns Fleetguard, so the Platinum Plus is probably what you saw.

I would like to try some, but I haven't found a Fleetguard distributor in the Dallas area that carries it yet or a place to order it off the net.

·
Banned
706 Posts
Sulfur is not a lubricant in of itself, but it can combine with the nickel content in many metal alloys to form a low melting point eutectic alloy that can increase lubricity. The process used to reduce the Sulfur also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties. It also can cause seals to shrink and can cause pump failure. I use this and stanadyne.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
How about RBP additive

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
RBP has had a tendency of putting there name on others products, their additive though I have no clue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts