Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
97 cummins. 47RE Trans. Alright I made a post earlier but now I found where the leak is coming from. I removed the heat exchanger on the passenger side and could see the waterfall of ?transmission fluid/coolant? dripping down the side of the block and onto my trans. I can see where it seems to be coming out of but it looks like a uniform crack like it’s supposed to be there. Any suggestions?.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts
Are you sure it's just not excess dripping out from the heat exchanger?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure it's just not excess dripping out from the heat exchanger?
It could he but I did it a while ago and it was because I thought the leak was coming from the exchanger lines so i just bypassed it. I will remove the exchanger and see I guess. Thank you. Thought after this long of time there would be no liquid in it

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts
I deleted your Post you just made don't start a new Thread for the same problem just update this one.

Reactions: 12VCumminsOwNEr

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts
From the pictures you posted it looks like coolant you might want to check to see if you have the 53 block. They do crack along the water jacket.

Here is some info for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I have a 97 12 valve so way I don’t think is a 53 block in there plus I can’t find 53 anywhere on the block. What gets me is it looks like its a uniform split where a bump in the block is. It bows out and its like it split along a seam or something its not just a random crack as you seenin the pics. The split is absolutely straight and along where it curves it looks like thats how the block was made.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the pictures you posted it looks like coolant you might want to check to see if you have the 53 block. They do crack along the water jacket.

Here is some info for you.

It is not an actual crack it looks like something separated from the block because you can see down into it from the above camera angle

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts
It is not an actual crack it looks like something separated from the block because you can see down into it from the above camera angle
Put your pictures on here so maybe someone else can see them.

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts
There should not be coolant leaking from there. Has your coolant level dropped?

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts
Did you look at the link I gave you about 53 blocks?

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts
If your going to try it i'd suggest getting a grinder to make the outside of the crack wider to be able to hold more of the JB. Also I believe they make some for wet areas.

Reactions: 24hrsparkey
1 - 17 of 17 Posts