Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at a '98 12 valve with 102,000 miles. 1 ton. 4x4 . manual. 2 owners. looks real clean inside and out. i am not really a performance guy... i am into reliability, good fuel mileage, dependability, and long life. i guess i have a few reservations about buying a vehicle with a bunch of add-ons in the engine compartment....i usually prefer an unmolested, stock truck.. the following is just copied from the owner's ad describing the engine......"14cm wastegated turbo, #10 fuel plate, 3000 rpm kit, and bosch marine injectors."

any opinions on these mods would be greatly appreciated.

thanks. G

·
Registered
49 Posts
well you cant go wrong with the 12v they are extremely dependable, easy to work on and cheap (relatively) for replacement parts. 102k miles is pretty good im about to hit 300k on mine and it runs like a champ. i wouldnt be worried about the mods except for the marine injectors. those are $hit. if they are asking a good price i would def buy it, but i personally would get some new injectors (ddp are what i use) and u will get better fuel and better smoke control than the marines.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Sounds like a truck that was only driven on Sundays by a little old lady. A quarter mile at a time by the little old lady from Pasadena that is.:hehe:

I wouldn't be afraid of it, but no one adds that stuff and doesn't go hammer down at least once in awhile. I too would get rid of those 370s, they are usually big fuel wasters. A set of stock 215s cost $499 here. PDR Diesel Performance: 1994-98 They will provide decent performance (about 300hp at the wheels with the other mods) and stock mileage if you keep your foot out of it.

There is a fair chance it is a 53 block, check for a one inch tall casting number on the lower left front of the block. I have one in the garage I am going to gamble won't crack, the common consensus is that 12 valve 53s are OK.

As for reliability, my current engine has similar mods and has lasted nearly 800k, but I am the original owner and I know how I drive and maintain it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
those mods wont hurt anything honestly the 12v s are gutless stock and with only 100 k i say do it. maybe go to stock injectors cuz marines will prolly smoke alot.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
My experience with the marine 370's has been that the anti-370 hype is greatly overrated. It's true, they don't get as good mileage as injectors with the correct spray pattern, and it's also true that they smoke more and the egt's are higher. I didn't find that any of these attributes were all THAT much worse, and they sure made a bunch more power than the stock ones. There have probably been thousands of trucks that had those installed and got run hard-mine included. I don't know of any that had a failure attributable to the fact that they had injectors with a 10 degree off spray pattern, which is what those injectors have. In fact, the spray pattern mismatch can be partially corrected by running thin injector washers underneath the injectors. (This comes from Jamie at CPP, not me.)

In short, having a set of 370's in a truck you buy is a non-issue. If you like the truck and the price is acceptable, buy it and run the $hit out of it. It'll be alright, and if you decide you want to upgrade your injectors you can buy a set for about 4-500 dollars with the correct spray pattern and 7 holes instead of 5, which gives you better atomization of the fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts