Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Here to learn
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does someone here know the distance between the front of the box and the front of the wheel wells on a 3rd gen short box? Like where a fuel tank or toolbox would sit. Also the width of the box? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
229 Posts
16" to the wheel well 64 1/2" between the bed rails 4' between the wheel wells.

Mine is a 99 short box and I have the stock bed liner, so their may be another inch or so more without the liner.

3rd Gen maybe totally different

·
Here to learn
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about from the floor to the bottom of the rail?

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
theres this cool contraption where it has this strip of metal, possibly aluminum, well its got these symbols called numbers i do believe, and it unwinds and becomes really long and if you hold it between two points the symbols called numbers tell you the length of things so ive been told, i think someone called it a measuring tape :lol3:

·
Here to learn
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WTF is your problem? I would measure it if I had a truck to measure.

·
Registered
229 Posts
19 1/2" Bed to top of the rail

:thumbsup

·
Registered
993 Posts
Are you looking to put a aux. fuel tank in it??

·
Here to learn
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I was thinking about welding one up myself.

I've come up with a 18" high x 15" wide x 5' wide. That comes out to just over 70 gallons.

What should I use to get the diesel from that tank to my fuel system? I was thinking just putting a small fuel pump on it and pump it into my stock tank and control it with a toggle switch on my dash.

·
Registered
205 Posts
C'mon, calm down. He was just playing with you. If you tell us more about what you are doing this for, maybe someone will have a similar interest and actually take one of those measure thinggys out and get you the info you are asking for. Are you doing a fuel tank, utility box, hiding a bunch of dead bodies???? Maybe you are trying to see how many beer cans it takes to stack up to be a cord.... help us and we'll help you is all. I would do it right now but my truck is a 2g and you were specific about the 3g.

I see you replied before I finished typing.... sounds like a good size tank. Are you going to run a switched valve to draw off 1 tank then the other or pump to the stock tank from the reserve? if pumping, you could tap into the vent hose and go tank to tank there.

·
Here to learn
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking just running an electric pump that automatically shuts off when the tank is dry. Just watching my fuel gauge and turning it on at 1/4 tank and off at 3/4 tank. I don't know if there's a way to just run gravity fed or if I have to run a pump. How will the stock tank breath if I use the breather hose to fill it from the aux tank? I don't know how everything needs to work. Any one else done this before?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, first... there are companies that do this for a living. They will let you know exactly what is invloved and how to plumb it. They may even have a way to switch from one sender to the other so the factory fuel guage operates on both tanks.
If you are going to build a tank yourself, fill it with water to be sure it is liquid tight before you try filling it with liquid gold.
My sugestion to use the vent tube would be to cut the rubber part of the vent hose by the stock fill neck and install a T. The auxillary pump could then use it to fill the stock tank. I would use a pump so I could watch the factory guage. A filter between the two tanks would be a good idea too. Just my $.02

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 85 gallon tank that I made myself. I welded a fitting on the drivers side down through the bed floor then a ball valve as a manual shutoff. Then a solenoid to a filter and into the caped port in the top of the tank. It workes great I turn it off and on when needed from a switch in the cab. Have had it for years and love it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On mine there was a capped 3/8 tube right with the suction and return fitting on top of the tank. I just put a 3/8 hose right on it. That one has a down pipe on it but it does not matter. It will gravity feed from your top tank.I allways fill the tank in the bed and dump it into the stock tank. It takes awhile but works good. I replace the filter every year and do not have any problems. You can get a filter and base from NAPA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts