Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've been looking at at complete system for the truck in my signature. I tow a 40' fifthwheel for vacation, and some excavating equipment occasionally. I'm looking to gain a few ponies but my biggest concern is my EGT's. I want something that I can pretty much set and forget. I know that I'll have to keep the fluid full but other than that I don't want to have to make any other adjustments regularly. I would like to have a progressive system that reads both boost and EGT's and adjusts automatically accordingly, but I don't have deep pockets, and even if I did they're not full of $$. What would you recommend for my application? Thanks for your help.

Doug

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
How about some recommendations on the jet size and number of jets I'd need for my setup. I've got a Byrd intake manifold tapped for four 1/8npt ports.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've been looking at at complete system for the truck in my signature. I tow a 40' fifthwheel for vacation, and some excavating equipment occasionally. I'm looking to gain a few ponies but my biggest concern is my EGT's. I want something that I can pretty much set and forget. I know that I'll have to keep the fluid full but other than that I don't want to have to make any other adjustments regularly. I would like to have a progressive system that reads both boost and EGT's and adjusts automatically accordingly, but I don't have deep pockets, and even if I did they're not full of $$. What would you recommend for my application? Thanks for your help.

Doug

yea egt are a killer to ever truck that's pulling anything heavy. We honesty try to go down the path of keep it simple. all of our currently controllers only work off of 1 input. We do have an EGT Water injection kit it does require a k type to be be used separately with it. But honest what i would put in my truck if i was you would be DVC-100 water injection kit We just released this 2-3 months ago. Honesty both are simple to setup and honesty your not going to have to fiddle with the knobs. the dvc-100 is cheaper and easer to install.

if you have any other questions let me know.

How about some recommendations on the jet size and number of jets I'd need for my setup. I've got a Byrd intake manifold tapped for four 1/8npt ports.
your making some pretty good power to the wheels :) what kinda intake air temps or egt are you getting? I am kinda shooting from the hip but i would start off with atleast 24gph of nozzle size. You might end up needing a 3rd nozzle but will need to look at your temps after running some water threw it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have pre tapped my stock intake plenum for your system in the near future.
I have one in front of intake horn by #1 injector line
Second one is behind intake horn by #2/#3 injector line
Third is by #4 injector line
Fourth is in back by #5 and #6 line.
I dont know if four is too many but atleast they are ready and avaialble. I dyno'd at 640hp with a single cp3. But I have upgraded turbo's and now have dual cp3's, so I may be pushing into the 700hp range. Which gph and quantity of nozzles should I install?
Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With your application i would start off with 24-28gph of nozzles. You can get buy with 2 nozzles min to achieve this. I personal like to keep things simple and run as few as possable as long as you get good distribution.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
i posted this in the other thread that we were talking in but ill repost it here

so that pressure switch on your website is what i would use in place of a hobbs switch right. i could just set it to say 18 or 20 psi and thats when the system would turn on?

id like to get that switch, the tank tap, and barbbed fitting. i think that will complete my kit and get me all set up.

do i put the pressure switch in the turbo to IC pipe or whhere is a good place. i guess while im tapping the intake horn i could just run a line from there to the pressure switch and then 2 nozzles next to it. so 3 ports on the intake horn

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry i guess i missed the other thread. Yes the pressure switch is an adjustable hobbs switch. "hobbs is a brand name"

You would want a sq-2 and it would let you adjust the range between 6 and 30 psi.

Call me and i can get it all to you.

You can put the pressure switch directly into any 1/8npt port. or you can run a boost line directy to it to hide it.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
awsome so is the # in your sig your direct line?

·
Bangin' through the gears
5,088 Posts
Thinking about picking up some parts from you guys and taking care of my egt's.

I would like to have a boost referenced and egt controlled setup.
Sq3
2-14gph nozzles
Edit: Also thinking about getting the 6 gallon tank with the large cap. Is that 12.28" x 8.5" x 15", 15" long or high? And does the dimension include the cap? One more dumb question do all of the tanks come with the filtered tank tap?

I'm thinkin' I might just want the Diesel Universal Stage 2 kit and then add to it? Whatever makes it better price wise lol! But the main thing is I want to be able to set it up where it doesn't turn on until say 35 psi and 1200 degree's. Those numbers are not set in stone. I mainly want the setup for cooling purposes, but I'm not completely against running a methanol mixture every so often to see if I can pick up a few hp.

Is one pump and 2 nozzles enough to cool this thing down? With my limited research and complete lack of knowledge of the water methanol biz (lmao) it is looking like I might possibly need more pump and nozzles. I am not averse to changing this thing up down the road when I do more mods, but I would like to be able to order up some stuff and have it work the first time around.

Currently I have seen up to 1750 degree's or so on the pyro........good times! But, I'd like to remedy that issue ha ha! I'd say I'm around 550-600 or so hp if that has any bearing on what sort of kit I should be getting.

And before someone reads this and jumps down my throat telling me it is my sticks that are making my EGT's so high I was able to kit IIRC 15something on stock sticks. So yes the sticks are making it hotter but only up high in the r's. Down lower it is warmer than it was, but only slightly.

I put the number to your shop in my phone hopefully I'll have time to call soon and get something ordered.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
well i was looking on your web site and placin some things i the cart, switch and barb fitting, all is good but then...... over $10 to ship those 2 little things???

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just want to let everyone know i am here to answer all your water methanol injection questions. This really helps make more power on forced induction applications.

Benefits Of Water-Methanol Injection:

* Increase horsepower safely by 10-15%
* Lower air temperatures by 50-200+ degrees
* Increases octane when you need it under boost.
* Reduces cylinder temperatures up to 300+ degrees
* No wear issues only clean combustion chambers
* Allows you to safely run more boost and timing

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
ok we get that part..........now how bout some help on that shipping cost? over $10 to ship a little switch that prob weighs 1/3 of a pound

·
Heck if I know
3,761 Posts
What should I look for........ trucks in the sig I want to be able to run #2 (tow) on my Edge and not peg the 1350 Egt's when pullin a long hill with my trailers. If I bump it back down to 0 (stock) I ping out the Boost to 38-40psi (stock turbo) when I bump it to #2 in an attempt to add more fuel to nuetralize the boost I make to much heat :doh:

·
Bangin' through the gears
5,088 Posts

Sq3
2-14gph nozzles
Edit: Also thinking about getting the 6 gallon tank with the large cap. Is that 12.28" x 8.5" x 15", 15" long or high? And does the dimension include the cap? One more dumb question do all of the tanks come with the filtered tank tap?

I'm thinkin' I might just want the Diesel Universal Stage 2 kit and then add to it? Whatever makes it better price wise lol! But the main thing is I want to be able to set it up where it doesn't turn on until say 35 psi and 1200 degree's. Those numbers are not set in stone. I mainly want the setup for cooling purposes, but I'm not completely against running a methanol mixture every so often to see if I can pick up a few hp.

Is one pump and 2 nozzles enough to cool this thing down? With my limited research and complete lack of knowledge of the water methanol biz (lmao) it is looking like I might possibly need more pump and nozzles. I am not averse to changing this thing up down the road when I do more mods, but I would like to be able to order up some stuff and have it work the first time around.

Currently I have seen up to 1750 degree's or so on the pyro........good times! But, I'd like to remedy that issue ha ha! I'd say I'm around 550-600 or so hp if that has any bearing on what sort of kit I should be getting.

And before someone reads this and jumps down my throat telling me it is my sticks that are making my EGT's so high I was able to kit IIRC 15something on stock sticks. So yes the sticks are making it hotter but only up high in the r's. Down lower it is warmer than it was, but only slightly.

I put the number to your shop in my phone hopefully I'll have time to call soon and get something ordered.
I just want to let everyone know i am here to answer all your water methanol injection questions. This really helps make more power on forced induction applications.

Benefits Of Water-Methanol Injection:

* Increase horsepower safely by 10-15%
* Lower air temperatures by 50-200+ degrees
* Increases octane when you need it under boost.
* Reduces cylinder temperatures up to 300+ degrees
* No wear issues only clean combustion chambers
* Allows you to safely run more boost and timing
So what were you bored at home? Didn't want to answer any real questions, but wanted to look like you were paying attention? :stirpot:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Sq3
2-14gph nozzles

in all honesty someone new for me just went threw the 50 something forums we are on and posted that for me. I don't want you to feel like you where being snubbed off.

I honesty am home today 9" of rain in 7 hrs and i have a lowered tbss. My help is there but i am not. I would give you my cell but i broke that last week and no idea when its going to be mailed back to me. I don't have a tank here for me to double check the measurement. I believe thats to the top of the cap. but let me double check. The tanks do come with mounting straps they do not come with filtered bulkhead. These come in our kits.

Depending on what pump you have will determen how much nozzle size you can run. I have some neat flow charts i been working on. I willl post up when i get to work. With our big pump we have customers running 4 do14 nozzles and still have pretty good amount of pressure still. But to do this we need to do afew other small upgrades. This is common setup for sled pullers. Your egt while they are high i think you can get them tamed down with all the parts you have already.

Call tuesday 405-470-4356x3 and i be happy to help you out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok we get that part..........now how bout some help on that shipping cost? over $10 to ship a little switch that prob weighs 1/3 of a pound
call the shop today and ask for jena, she can setup to ship usps priorty mail which is cheaper. 4.90 i believe.

When running straight water, do you use distilled water or tap water or what?
I recommend running distilled water because some areas have horable tap water. walmart its less than .50 per a gallon. filtered water can also work but is not ideal like the distilled water is.

What should I look for........ trucks in the sig I want to be able to run #2 (tow) on my Edge and not peg the 1350 Egt's when pullin a long hill with my trailers. If I bump it back down to 0 (stock) I ping out the Boost to 38-40psi (stock turbo) when I bump it to #2 in an attempt to add more fuel to nuetralize the boost I make to much heat :doh:
I would recommend one of our progressive kits. its goign to come with 3 nozzles so you will be able to tune it to your truck pretty easy. with your mods i would start out with the do14, and d05 nozzle. This should really make a huge decrease on your egt and let you keep your foot in it longer :)

·
Heck if I know
3,761 Posts
I would recommend one of our progressive kits. its goign to come with 3 nozzles so you will be able to tune it to your truck pretty easy. with your mods i would start out with the do14, and d05 nozzle. This should really make a huge decrease on your egt and let you keep your foot in it longer :)
thanks

·
Registered
487 Posts
I should be in about the same boat as patracy as far as power :spank:

My deal is I would LOVE to have a water/meth system to clean my injectors/combustion chamber. I like to run 50/50 WMO and diesel. My stock injectors had 170k on them when I pulled um for a set of 150's they were a little coaked up but not too bad... I had one that was getting there and missed a lick every now and then. The 150's are pushing lots more fuel and I think the fuel is not completely burning coaking up my new injectors... I have had one or two misses since I did the injectors...

So my question is how much water/meth can a pump down her throat before she gags? :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts