Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

As promised

1070 7
As Promised, New Ram owner Questions.
1. every thing I read says use MoPar, products, DEF, OIL etc.
Is this necessary or are qualified products ok?
2. Is the fuel filler neck large enough to use the trucker pumps at the truck stop?
3. This truck only has 2 cigar plugs, 1 in the center console and 1 in the back of the console, both key operated, which causes a problem, using a dash GPS, and charging my tire monitor for the rv. don't like cords hanging every where. how is the best way to install 1 or 2 more plugs on the side of the console???
4. is it true my IPhone will not work in the uconnect system?
That all right now. I hope I'm not a bother asking all these question, but I know most of you have answers.
Thanks
Cary
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
1. i use rotella and def fluid from walmart have never had an issue. even have the dealership do the oil change and they have never said anything about it.
2. yes i have filled up at several truck stations and have had no issue with the filler neck.
Flying J is the one i use most.
3. yes it does shut down all electical in the truck after a certain time. i have not hooked up and alternate plug so cant really help you there.
4. my iphone 5 connects just fine with my u connect but i believe text messages dont work. have heard several others say they have issues. but i dont text when i drive plus its illegal in my state. not to mention the safety issues as well.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Search magnusson v moss for use of aftermarket parts. Yes, you can fill up with the big rig pumps, then top off with DEF in 1 shot. Not sure what you're asking about the cigar plugs, and my iphone works perfectly with my uconnect.

·
Registered
194 Posts
As others have said, use what you feel good about. I am having the dealership do my first 4 oil changes because they're free. I use DEF from the pump at a truck stop near by and the filler neck is indeed big enough for the big rig diesel pumps.
I was also less than impressed about the available plug ins, so I added some. I added two dual USB ports for charging electronics to the rear of the console. Very easy to do.
If you want to add regular 12v outlets, you may need to run power directly from the battery, but it should be pretty simple.
As far as the Iphone, my Iphone 5 works fine, the only thing it will not do is let you use the Uconnect to SEND texts. You can receive them and it will read them to you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks AV8B6015 and dt20, the cig plugs I have both need to have the truck on to supply power. That is why I wanted a full time hot for the gps so it doesn't have to reboot every time I cut the truck off .I just hope I'm smart enough to get my IPhone 5 set up??????
Cary

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just a thought, your GPS probably has a microusb connection, and depending on what trim level you have your truck should have a number of USB ports. Just use one of those to charge it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
iPhone 6 here and it works great with the UC. My 5 did as well.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Geno's Garage has a nifty little device called a Painless Wiring Auxiliary fuse block. These are weather proof and are either 3 or 7 circuit designs. They mount in the engine compartment and you route a power wire to them. The 3 circuit has one hot and two ignition-hot circuits and uses a 30 amp relay off of the battery + post. The 7 circuit is offered in various designs as to what you want power for. You can than wire in your accessory plug/plugs in the truck for items such as GPS and so forth. Cost for them is cheap compared to the TIPM on your truck.

I use one for my air compressor and an auxiliary port for my booth tooth on my 08 truck.

Jim W.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.