Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that a few are putting these in. This might be a dumb question but why and when do you know to put them in.
I'm still in my diesel infancy.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
head studs hold up tons better than bolts to pressure, and when mixed with o-rings, tons of boost can be applied. i'm mainly a 12v guy but getting better at stuff newer than that, with the 12v, the stock head gasket can only hold about 45 psi, i believe it's about 50 on the newer ones, then when you put studs and o-rings, i believe they can hold up to about 90 psi.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
:thumbsup
I see that a few are putting these in. This might be a dumb question but why and when do you know to put them in.
put 'em in whenever you want! they will give you better clampin' strength. and you will be able to run more boost psi 'cause... the common rail engines have a m.l.s. head gasket.multi layer steel gasket. have fun!:thumbsup:hyper::peelout :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Studs on a common rail will hold over 60psi

·
Registered
331 Posts
Is there anything really complicated about putting in headstuds. U don't have to remove the head do u? Can't u just rmove the bolts and install the studs without removing the head?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
IMO i wouldnt waste the time or money if you arent going to get a turbo pushing 50psi+

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
Is there anything really complicated about putting in headstuds. U don't have to remove the head do u? Can't u just rmove the bolts and install the studs without removing the head?
Complicated no, Time consuming yes, Remove the head no. The bolts can be replaced with the studs one by one. :thumbsup

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
IMO, if you are going to exceed 50psi. Needed or not, there are different opinions out there, but I feel better knowing the studs are there. :thumbsup

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so for a guy like me that does not run a fooler, well smarty jr, this would be un-necessary. Although better is always...better. I guess a better statment would be that my money would be better spent on other things for now? Generaly, what does a stock turbo hit.
Now I understand the boost guage a little better.
Thanks.

One more question. If one was to do this does it have to be done all at once? Say you get started (without replacing the gasket) and something comes up can you run your truck for a few days with 1/2 or 1/3 of them done but the originals still in?

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
Okay, so for a guy like me that does not run a fooler, well smarty jr, this would be un-necessary. Although better is always...better. I guess a better statment would be that my money would be better spent on other things for now? Generaly, what does a stock turbo hit.
Now I understand the boost guage a little better.
Thanks.

One more question. If one was to do this does it have to be done all at once? Say you get started (without replacing the gasket) and something comes up can you run your truck for a few days with 1/2 or 1/3 of them done but the originals still in?
You'll be fine without studs.

Generally the stock turbo will be under 40psi.

If your going to install studs, I would do them one at a time, but do all of them. It will take roughly 6 hours. :thumbsup

Dodge | Commins | Forum

1 - 11 of 11 Posts