Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell if a 98 rear end has 3.55 or 4.10 gears if I don't have the info plate under the hood?

·
Registered
92 Posts
could be stamped on rear diff or should be a ta attached to the rear diff cover by one of the bolts with that info

·
Registered
92 Posts
a tag attached sorry

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just call your local dodge dealer and give them your vin. that's what I did when I first got mine
I was told they cant track one that old...:confused013:

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Jack up the rearend, turn the pinion shaft and count LOL.
It helps to mark a tire with chalk.
or Pull the rearend cover and count teeth....
No easy ways if all your info tags are missing.

KO

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I just called my dodge dealer last week to find out about my 97. They had no problems.
55mph i'm about 1600-1700rpm on the tach with 3.55's 5 speed on 285 75 tires.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Most of the time theres a tag on the diff. or it stamp on the casing or you can count the teeth. I counting the pinion turn to tire rotacion is a pain sometime.

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
If you pop the cover off the diff you will find the ratio or the teeth count stamped on the ring/crown gear.

The tag is not always going to be right, if the gears were changed sometime over its 20 year life they could have changed the ratio. Thats what happened with mine, somewhere down the road it was switched to 4.11s and the tag was still on it saying 3.55s!

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I was looking for an axle a couple years ago I found by marking the drive shaft and spinning one wheel to turn the drive shaft one revolution the wheel would just about make two turn was 4:10 and 3:55 would go 1 and a half to a little more. This is by tring to remeber from a while back . May be some would like to check their truck

·
Registered
59 Posts
if you jack it up AND KEEP ONE TIRE FROM SPINNING, which can be done even with a limited slip, one rotation of the driveshaft will be either 3.55 or 4.1 turns of the tire.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The tire should turn almost two turns and the drive shaft one turn and that will be a 4:10

1 - 13 of 13 Posts