Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

are our trucks prewired for a trailer brake controller?

8849 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  ryans01
are they? i'm going to need one soon but i ahve no idea where to plug it in...
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
15,315 Posts
If you have the factory tow package then the plug is down by the steering column.

· Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm i don't know if my receiver is factory or now. what else comes with the tow package?

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
plug on the back bumper wired up already is the only other thing it comes with, maybe towing mirrors too don't know... it is a flat four pin connector, I thought it was either blue or white. He is right though, under the steering column area is where it is located.

· Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, well i'll check for that plug then. thanks guys.

· Registered
115 Posts
The plug is under the dash, typically attached to the side of the fuse cluster. It is on all trucks wether they have the towing package or not. If you do not have the towing package you will need to locate the wires at the back of the truck to install the plug. I did this on my 97 Dakota and my 99 1500, both of my deisels had the towing package on them. If you have a Hayes book for the truck i believe it helps in finding teh wires for the rear plug.

· Premium Member
1,970 Posts
i found out something interesting with that too...if u plan on hooking up a trailer with the electric brakes and you don't have a controller for it, it'll just lock up the brakes on the trailer as soon as you touch your brakes...

i was moving a friend's trailer, empty, and found that out the hard way...

· Registered
3,618 Posts
Mine was just had to plug it in under the dash.

· Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Mine was just had to plug it in under the dash.
same here...heck i still have the factory brake controller harness with the towing package book...:thumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.