Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 dodge 2500 5.9
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to put a s363 and a s480 on the truck but have heard that stock crank will not hold it. I have hasley rods but stock crank. If the stock crank won't work whats is recommended thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
following

·
Registered
841 Posts
Never heard of this. I’m aware of quite a few compound turbo’d trucks all pushing from 600hp to 850+ on a stock crank with no issue. My own included. Nothing to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
No

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You aren’t going to wreck your crank by putting compound turbos on your truck

Reactions: Klausenheimer

·
Registered
99 Posts
You aren’t going to wreck your crank by putting compound turbos on your truck
puts on 3 turbos "Hold my boost and watch this" lol.

·
Premium Member
7,077 Posts
I want to know what shop told you that your stock Cummins crank wont hold compounds.

Guys that make upwards of 2800hp to the tire are still using the stock Cummins crank.

If you are using 12v rods, Id be waaaaaaaaay more concerned about spitting one of them out the side of the block rather than the crank.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm running a 364 over a s480 on stock crank, no issues at all, tow a heavy ass trailer too. Install it and go on about your day, you'll never look back.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I’m guessing this is a new-to-you truck...if so I hope they are telling the truth on haisley rods. Stock CR powdered metal fractured cap rods are questionable 800hp+. Not uncommon to crack stock pistons/rings around there as well with excessive heat being one factor. Seems like blocks get weird above 1800 ft-lbs since they’re not bothered so much by rpm but cylinder pressure (i.e. torque) with bottom tapping the mains being a bad culprit according to Hamilton Cams.

A good tuner can pull back the timing and duration to try to keep the torque down and instead use rpm to make hp, but realize this will make for a less responsive street truck and higher rpm requires a bigger injector to inject the same quantity of fuel in a shorter window.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
When running sufficient amount fuel that necessitates a large enough single to match, depending on use and preferred responsiveness, compounds can certainly be needed/desired.

·
Registered
2006 dodge 2500 5.9
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m guessing this is a new-to-you truck...if so I hope they are telling the truth on haisley rods. Stock CR powdered metal fractured cap rods are questionable 800hp+. Not uncommon to crack stock pistons/rings around there as well with excessive heat being one factor. Seems like blocks get weird above 1800 ft-lbs since they’re not bothered so much by rpm but cylinder pressure (i.e. torque) with bottom tapping the mains being a bad culprit according to Hamilton Cams.

A good tuner can pull back the timing and duration to try to keep the torque down and instead use rpm to make hp, but realize this will make for a less responsive street truck and higher rpm requires a bigger injector to inject the same quantity of fuel in a shorter window.
I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine. I decided against the haisley rods and went with the wagler street fighter rods. I put new mahle pistons in it as well as a halmiton cam and tappets. Fire ring the head as well as 103 valve springs. I was just kicking around the idea of putting compounds on it but sounds like I am going to forsure now

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Stock crank will be fine. I’ve literally never heard of a single person having a problem

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Stock crank will be fine. I’ve literally never heard of a single person having a problem
Reb Brown with a 62 over 91 and rjp with a single 80 are the cases I'm aware of, there are probably more. Both guys had 6.7's that were dialed in for all out power with max responsiveness in mind so definitely tough to do but it's a possibility. I think both were around 1000-1100hp.

Reactions: BigmanT773

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Reb Brown with a 62 over 91 and rjp with a single 80 are the cases I'm aware of, there are probably more. Both guys had 6.7's that were dialed in for all out power with max responsiveness in mind so definitely tough to do but it's a possibility. I think both were around 1000-1100hp.
Lol the ole Browns diesel 62 over 91 setup from like 10 years ago? Back then the going rate for tuning was a smarty TNT with an MP8 pressure box tossed on top:ROFLMAO:

Back to the OP; sounds like a healthy long block. Zip er together with some ARP 625s, a nice 150% injector and have yourself a ball.

Reactions: Marq92
1 - 14 of 14 Posts