Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

are a turbo and injectors enough?

847 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Philip
Hi,
I am new to the site and am looking to get enough power and torque to pull a 5th wheel trailer with my 91 w250. Its all stock so i have a blank slate to work with. I am hoping to find someone with the answers on how to get what i am looking for. I think I found the place if someone is willing to offer some advice.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,126 Posts
ya get some injectors a turbo and upgrade the fuel system and you should be good. is it a auto or man. trans?

· Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5speed

ya get some injectors a turbo and upgrade the fuel system and you should be good. is it a auto or man. trans?
5 speed getrag

· Registered
701 Posts
it depends on what you want, and what you have to start. is it intercooled? how much do you want? there are things you can do with just air and exhaust upgrades and some pump mods that will get you more power. you need gauges first so you know what you are doing to start with. if you go with turbo and injectors you'll need more air and bigger exhaust anyway, plus a clutch or convertor, and the list goes on...

· Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it depends on what you want, and what you have to start. is it intercooled? how much do you want? there are things you can do with just air and exhaust upgrades and some pump mods that will get you more power. you need gauges first so you know what you are doing to start with. if you go with turbo and injectors you'll need more air and bigger exhaust anyway, plus a clutch or convertor, and the list goes on...
I kid of have a good idea of what i want, iam looking for an idea on brand name and sizes i know i need 4 inch exaust to go with bigger turbo. Really i dont know what turbo to buy and do i need an aftermarket one or will one off a newer dodge truck work. i am told that i need one with a wast gate for faster spool up

· Vendor
13,010 Posts
how much HP are you trying to get to? an hx35 will give faster spool up and is waste gated, it will handle up to 300HP, if you want to go bigger than that get a 35/40 hybrid or a small s300.

· Registered
701 Posts
i guess you have to ask the question you want an answer to? an hx-35 is not really known to be much of an upgrade. if you do much for fueling you'll out grow it fast. as for injectors, the sky is the limit! do your research and find what injectors will do what you want. they say around 300hp is the sweet spot for towing with these 1st gen trucks.

· Registered
701 Posts
The most important question is when was your truck made? If, like mine, yours is an early '91 then it has big injectors and no intercooler. It can be turned up quite easily but will generate high exhaust temps. If It is a late production '91 then it can be turned up some, and can handle the resulting heat better.

IC'd trucks usually need bigger injectors to benefit much from pump adjustments. I would stay away from PODs and try one of the Bosch sets.

· Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You

The most important question is when was your truck made? If, like mine, yours is an early '91 then it has big injectors and no intercooler. It can be turned up quite easily but will generate high exhaust temps. If It is a late production '91 then it can be turned up some, and can handle the resulting heat better.

IC'd trucks usually need bigger injectors to benefit much from pump adjustments. I would stay away from PODs and try one of the Bosch sets.
Thank you guys so much for the help. Mine is inter cooled and i would like to get inthe 300-350 hp range i think that will be enough, the newer trucks have that much and they do fine on the highway.:yourock:

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
the newer trucks have that much and they do fine on the highway.
They have a lot bigger IC also. Trying to hit 350 HP and tow is going to take some work on a 1st gen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.