Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
This is the easiest way to "reset" the Apps

APPS Reset Procedure

This procedure has shown to help 24 valve ISB engines. It is basically teaching the fly by wire accelerator on these trucks to reread the position of the pedal and it's limits. Most complaints this will help with is poor acceleration, improper shifting, bucking in 5 and 6 speeds. Has been known to increase fuel mileage in some instances.

1. Set parking brake
2. Disconnect negative battery cables on both batteries
3. Turn ignition key to run(to drain any remaining capacitors)
4. Let truck sit for 30 minutes( this is the recommended minimum)
5. Return ignition to OFF position
6. Reconnect both batteries and secure, not a timed event
7. Turn key to run position(not start) and depress accelerator pedal slowly all the way to the floor
8. Allow pedal to return to top position slowly
9. Turn ignition switch OFF
10.Release parking brake

DM

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Jake, there is a dyno in Cloquet. The place doesn't have any way to exhaust the smoke so he won't do a diesel in the winter. We are planning a dyno day in the spring though. The only "problem" is the dyno is a Mustang and it only has a capacity of 1000Ft lbs Torque.
Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Member Troy just called , he is 100 miles away and his 01 went to idle with no pedel response at all, I had him goin in less than sixty seconds with this simple reset. :woot:

Only problem is this is the 2nd time it has happened in the last 6 months so I hafta figgure out why this is going on

Troy will be stopping here in an hour and I will run the codes with my OBDII that the lil woman got me for Xmas

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pulled his codes

PO 121- pedel position sensor

PO 0216- injection pump timing control malfunction

PO 121- pedel position sensor

PO 0216- injection pump timing control malfunction

Got him all cleared up for now......................0216 scares me

Just a note to let folks know how valuable knowing how to do some of this stuff is

About 6 or 7 months ago Troy had the APPS problem at 4 in the morning on top of south pass, he bummed a ride to work with a co-worker that was traveling behind him, anyway he had a wrecker take his truck back to his house at a tune of 160 smackers, that night I had his APPS reset in a minute or two....................Troy was happy about it but at the same time disgruntled he had to pay the 160 bucks for the tow

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would order a new APPS to be on the safe side, and check for the 0216 weekly.

Is Troy the guy with the red truck? What year and how many miles?

When it's finally ready go here

Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Troys truck is an 01 silver, he is my son-in-law...the red one is my other sin-in-law

I got Troy to order a new APPS as this one could give up the goast any time

0216- we will be watching this one closley :agree2:

He has no f/p gauge, we are doing gauges on the March bomb party, I wonner if his l/p is any good? I hat the OEM l/p :Complain:

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the easiest way to "reset" the Apps

APPS Reset Procedure

This procedure has shown to help 24 valve ISB engines. It is basically teaching the fly by wire accelerator on these trucks to reread the position of the pedal and it's limits. Most complaints this will help with is poor acceleration, improper shifting, bucking in 5 and 6 speeds. Has been known to increase fuel mileage in some instances.

1. Set parking brake
2. Disconnect negative battery cables on both batteries
3. Turn ignition key to run(to drain any remaining capacitors)
4. Let truck sit for 30 minutes( this is the recommended minimum)
5. Return ignition to OFF position
6. Reconnect both batteries and secure, not a timed event
7. Turn key to run position(not start) and depress accelerator pedal slowly all the way to the floor
8. Allow pedal to return to top position slowly
9. Turn ignition switch OFF
10.Release parking brake

DM
Thank you so much for taking the time to post the reset sequence !
I'm a one man show kinda guy here at home , fell in love with a Dodge 1997
5.9 diesel I found online . It was left in a farm field for 6 years they were asking to much I got them down enough to get it . I have been fixing motors my whole life but never touched
A diesel. I didn't care a motor is a motor and I had a vision .
So I pulled the motor stripped it down and sent it off to a not so local shop that had the best rep I could find, then inspent the summer with it in the back yard .
I stripped out so many bad wires and ground faults. Then started looking and fixing so many
So called repairs I was blown away how mistrested this thing was.
I couldn't even start the truck upon purchase but didn't care I new what I was going to
Do and what I was getting into...
Sorry got caught up in the moment ,anyway this mourning I putt the batteries back in
Pushed the fuse for the fast fuel pump, did your sequence after dialing my voltage in.

I can tell you honestly I bought the truck last august and today was the first drive when every thing just worked ALL of it .
When I say thank you
I mean it from the bottom of my heart . I've been using this site for small answers and fixes through the build but yours was the biggest and most crucial .

Again your few minutes saved me from taking my truck to a real mechanic I guess is how most folks say it.
Thank you and thank you for it!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive got a 2000 3500 coustmer had me come out for interment power loss ever thing led to apps replaced it no change found out lift pump was running on last leg and completely went out replaced it truck runs fine then finally gets a code for the p0122 did the reset procedure with no luck the code won't even delete unless I un plug the sensor and plug it back in but dosent come back on any body willing to help me in the right direction

1 - 14 of 14 Posts