Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adjusted mine. Truck works better in OD lockup now. Also seems to have a little better throttle response. Mine was marked .638V. Intial reading was .440. I got it to .628V but that's about all thats left of it. So I'll probably have to replace it in the future.

Should I also pull the battery cables and let the truck relearn the peddle? I've read that you pull the batts and then connect them and tap the peddle 3 times from closed to WOT (not to fast though) with the ign on and truck not running.

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
that is correct....un hook the battery's and do the re-set first and then re check the voltage to see it moved

Scott

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
how do you adjust the apps

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
Here you go :thumbsup

RESETTING THE APPS SENSOR.
(ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR)
2ND GENERATION 24 VALVE TRUCKS ONLY.

LIST OF TOOLS NEEDED

DIGITAL VOLT METER
# 20 TORQUE BIT SOCKET
# 1 PHILLIPS
# 10 MM SOCKET

Proper service and repair procedures are vital to ensure personal safety of those performing the repairs. Standard safety procedures and precautions should be followed at all times to eliminate the personal injury or improper service, which could damage the vehicle or compromise its safety.
Although this material has been prepared with the intent to provide reliable information, no liability is assumed in reliance of this material.

It has come to my attention that a lot of people think by disconnecting & re-connecting the batteries and stepping on the throttle it is going to reset the apps, no, that is not correct. It is impossible to adjust your apps if you do not know where it is supposed to be set at. That is why you need the voltmeter.

This is the procedure I use to re-set the apps.

With the key on, engine off you need to probe the apps wire to see where your voltage is currently set at.
The best location to probe the wire is on the PCM (power control module) which is located off the passenger side of the firewall.

• You want the C1 connector, this is the connector closest to the engine,
• You want the orange wire with the dark blue tracer which is pin # 23
• Voltage should read somewhere around 0.5 volts,
• At this point the voltage reading does not matter, it just has to be accurately written down for later reference.

*** TURN THE IGNITION OFF ON THE TRUCK ***

Resetting the APPS Sensor cont. page 2
(Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor)
2nd generation 24 valve trucks only.

• The apps sensor is located slightly above and a little to the left of the injection pump.

• Remove the black plastic cover that is located by your injection pump.

The two screws that are holding it are plastic, do not put any downward pressure on them or you will never get them off.

• Un do the 6 - 10 mm headed bolts that hold the bracketry in place.
(DO NOT REMOVE THE CABLES)

You will notice the apps is on the back of the bracketry that you just removed, it is held in place by 2 - 20 bit screws. These screws have a little bit of locktite on them so make sure you have a good socket and gently give a little tap with a hammer before attempting to loosen. Be very careful these screws strip very easily and you only get one shot at them.

• On the apps you will find a white tag that gives you the information on what the apps adjustment should be.

• After loosening the screws you can rotate the apps both clockwise and counter clockwise to get the adjustment you need.

• The reading you took at the beginning of the process on pin # 23 should match the white tag on your apps, if not adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
thank you much sir.

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
After loosening the screws you can rotate the apps both clockwise and counter clockwise to get the adjustment you need.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
just wanted to add---i don't know about any of ya'll but i was looking to replace mine and the cheapest i could find it was $475 from a local cummins place, then i looked at Hoeslidiesel and got mine for $388 after shipping...not trying to advertise, just try'n to help others save money parts...

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless you can't adjust it back to spec or you had a dead spot. Always adjust first!

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Unless you can't adjust it back to spec or you had a dead spot. Always adjust first!
yeah, i meant to add that too...

i figured after i adjusted twice, the heck with it all...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I adjusted mine this weekend. World of difference in the truck. When I looked at the tag for the voltage it said either .659 or .653. I tried to wipe the dirt off the tag but ended up wiping the voltage spec off the tag. I have it set at .655. Graphic Man do you know if you can determine the voltage setting by providing anyone with the serial number? I would love to know what the exact voltage should be.

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
I adjusted mine this weekend. World of difference in the truck. When I looked at the tag for the voltage it said either .659 or .653. I tried to wipe the dirt off the tag but ended up wiping the voltage spec off the tag. I have it set at .655. Graphic Man do you know if you can determine the voltage setting by providing anyone with the serial number? I would love to know what the exact voltage should be.
i am not sure on that but if your close to that number you'll be fine .659 -.653 won't make any difference :thumbsup

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
just wanted to add---i don't know about any of ya'll but i was looking to replace mine and the cheapest i could find it was $475 from a local cummins place, then i looked at Hoeslidiesel and got mine for $388 after shipping...not trying to advertise, just try'n to help others save money parts...

Search this site there is a member that sells a industrial grade replacement for around 150$

heres one link to an older thread

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/54322-anatomy-apps-sequel.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
help my apps at pin#23 is 1.7 v and on apps tag reads .486 what do i do...
Are you sure you're on pin # 23? That voltage sounds awfully high. You should have set a code if your idle voltage was anything over about .8 volts.

There's normally a short step between idle voltage (around .5v) and accelerate voltage (above .75v or so). If the ECM see's anything odd when the IVS (idle validation switch) goes from idle to accelerate it will throw a code.

At 1.7volts you should definitely be in the "accelerate" mode not idle.
Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
What about a value(voltage) at WOT at pin 23. Does it make a diffference?
Voltage at WOT on pin #23 will usually be around 3.75 volts or so. I don't think it matters much as long as you're under 5 volts. i've never been able to get any APPS to go over 4 volts regardless of the adjustment so I wouldn't worry about it.
Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts